Financial aid decision

@kcheves Thank you. Much appreciated. Best of luck to you or your child as well.

@mojojojo23 My pleasure !

@quackunited Yes if you wait till summer you have a better chance of earning more awards; however, I strongly encorage you to consider a back up method just in case. I personally, applied to over 100 local scholarships to raise money to pay for my first few semesters if I don’t, so be sure to have a back up plan until then.

Also, IDK about engineering scholarships yet ( I am a freshman! ) and I can tell you if you want to plan on getting a good gpa so you can get good scholarships, register for an EARLY NSC! Because I think every one here (for the most part works hard) but their are horrible professors that won’t hand out a single A and those professors tend to get the most students at the later NSC’s .But if that is your plan, you will want to include research or an AggiE Challenge in your schedule next semester because it is A) an easy A, B) a resume boost and C) some college of engineering scholarships now require you to do one of them .

@lessonwitch2 Wow, those are impressive numbers! Are those yearly scholarships? My daughter has accepted for TAMU and we are waiting for scholarship info…the wait is LONG! :slight_smile: She was accepted to the University Honors program and has received the Hispanic scholars award as well. We are hoping for more scholarships to help with costs.

It’s a hard decision as she was offered a full ride for UTD which is 30 mins from our house so she would not need dorms. TAMU is where her heart is but it’s hard to turn down free money!

@McKinneyMom

Only 12k is renewable ; but since I thought I was getting nothing I won more than enough outside scholarships to cover the rest of the cost of attendance.

Me and my best friend actually had the same situation as your daughter! However I just used it as motivation for me to apply for local scholarship to cover the COA and justify how ultimately it would be better for me to go to A&M. Tell her to consider looking for outside Awards.

Ps go find some of the financial aid department, ask about the Aggie bound scholarship, and email them a copy of your full ride. It MAY likely earn you another award. ( this mainly works for students who have full tuition somwhere else )

Thanks for the advice!

Does anyone have a contact in the financial aid department?? :slight_smile:

@lessonwitch2 thanks a lot for the tips! I already have the Non-Resident Tuition Waiver for next year and a renewable $3000/yr scholarship, so I just need $1000 in scholarships every year to keep qualifying for the waiver. So you think through AggiE challenges and research that this will be obtainable?

Received the financial aid/scholarship letter from TAMU today and we are EXTREMELY disappointed. :frowning: No scholarships at all. My daughter did receive a 3,500/year from National Hispanic Scholars and thats the only one she received for TAMU.

She has a FULL ride to UTD which at this point will be her choice unless TAMU comes up with more money. Hubs is going to email the financial aide dept and see what we can find out.

@McKinneyMom are you guys in state or OOS?

How hard is to get a research job (related to Computer Engineering) at TAMU?

And how hard is to get a job in general for somebody who was not awarded Work Study ?

:frowning:

@MomAndHerTwins I’m curious how they determine who gets work study? Not sure if it’s financial aid or not. My daughter got it many years ago and back then were told it was need based. My son was not offered it either and he did get financial aid. I’m not sure how difficult it will be to get a work study job.

@ggbucks We are in state.

@McKinneyMom I’m so sorry. I realized it after I asked. Lol

Lol, no worries!

Hubs emailed our admissions guy to see who we can speak to. I doubt they will change their minds but you never know. She really wanted to go there so we will see.

I hope everyone gets good news!

@McKinneyMom I wish you the best of luck!!

Gg and all other OOSs- we were in the same boat as you last year. OOS daughter had great academic stats. Not one $ in awards. I researched every angle for an oos waiver, but came up empty. There weren’t any late scholarship offers after the admission deadline in May either. She is at Tamu, is thriving, and loves it and I don’t regret her decision one bit. But the bottom line is Tamu is there to educate Texans and they have plenty of highly qualified young people to choose from. There is just no incentive for Tamu to give money to oos students. Make the best combined academic/financial decision you can for you and your son and don’t look back.

@ogravy. I agree totally. We are exploring all our offers. I truly believe he will wind up where he is meant to br. Thank you and happy to hear how well your daughter is doing.

Have any OOS students who did not get the waiver looked into obtaining Texas residency? This is the avenue we are going to pursue - just wondering if anyone has any input? Thanks!

DS received $2500/yr Mays Business School Scholarship. Total scholarship so far $5500/yr.

@Bader316 How awesome. Congrats!

Are we eligible for both scholarships and financial aid at the same time