Financial Aid, Divorce and Domestic Violence

I hate to say this…but I don’t think you can plan THAT far ahead. The middle school student won’t be applying to colleges for at least four years.

The reality of divorce proceedings etc . . . Is that now is when I need to think about it.

But it’s why I am asking here because of course I can’t call the schools he is applying to, who knows what they will be?

But, as suggested, you can talk to the school counselor at your local high school to inquire. My guess is they will tell you they will need to evaluate that situation when the time comes. But they might also know what documentation you should continue to keep in the meantime.

@sybbie719 @kelsmom

In your case with the history you have, even if the court order expires, it will be likely that your son can say “I haven’t had any contact with my father for 10+ years.”

If things change and he will have contact, then things change. You really can’t plan for that. Also, there will be schools that are FAFSA only and he will be able to apply to those. As long as you provide more than half his support, only your financial info will be required.

You will also have the experience of your older child’s application process and know what some schools require.

1 Like

There are also Profile schools that do not require the non-custodial parent form.

1 Like