Financial Aid/Scholarships

So now we are doing the dreaded financial aid (no money given freely here, eh?) - she is going to do loans this semester, but we are wondering - how can she increase her chances for in-school scholarships for subsequent semesters? We had hoped she would get at least a PTK or Terry Transfer, but nada. I’m guessing her best bet is to put best feet forward and stand out within her major and apply for scholarships within that department? And for Freshman, same thing? How hard is it to secure an RA position sophomore year? Does anyone know if you have to wait until Sophomore year to apply? I know that at a couple of other universities, you can apply as early as 2nd semester. Just getting very nervous for my kids - they have known from day one that they would be responsible for cost of attendance - but dang - COA is NOT the same as it was when DH & I were in school. It’s sickening. Doesn’t help that both DD & DS want to pursue post-graduate degrees. Anyone see a student loan crises coming?!

There already is one, and your kids cannot pay their own COA if there is no FA. Direct loans won’t get close to a 4 yr COA. You are right, college costs now are incomparable to the parents’.