Financial Aid

<p>They just posted the awards for transfers tonight and I'm definitely very disappointed considering that I had a low EFC (around 3000) and they only gave me $12,500 in grants and $4,125 in loans, leaving $27,500 a year to pay and around $23,000 left in more loans. A friend of mine who had an EFC of 0 got the same aid as me, except for $3,000 more in grants. Miami really seems to help out their in-staters despite it being a private school. Regardless of the cost, I'm still going since theres no way I'll go back to the school I'm in now and there's no other real options for me. Do you think an appeal would net me any more money at all?</p>

<p>My aid was crappy as well. I appealed it, and they have refused to acknowledge my appeal. I haven't got confirmation that they are looking at it, that they received it, or that there is anything I can do. I'm talking to my admissions counselor about it, seeing if she can look more into this. She said I should have definitely received confirmation and a date of which they would give me a decision. But right now, it's my most expensive school, furthest from home, and I can't afford it. This is why i'm not considering Miami seriously at this point.</p>

<p>I'm thinking of calling them and having my mom and I speak to them and see if somehow they can help me out a bit more...with grants & loans they only filled about 40% of my need</p>

<p>Yup, I only had around 50% of my need filled. I couldn't believe it.</p>

<p>yea they were supposed to fill 78% of need but i guess that's from in-state residents getting mad state $$. i'm still gonna go and not look back...theres always opportunities for departmental scholarships, outside scholarships, etc. its worth it for the opportunity to go to my dream school, which will be even better after going through a year of being in a school that i hate (i called it 13th grade lol)</p>

<p>I already looked for sport administration scholarships, trust me, there's nothing. The only source is outside scholarships or getting more financial aid. They would have to double my grants at this point for me to consider them, and there is a highly unlikely chance of that happening.</p>

<p>how much did u get in grants?</p>

<p>Sorry to hear that some of you are having financial issues with the U....</p>

<p>Just remember this formula to figure out expenses, aid, etc.:</p>

<p>Total Tuition
+housing
+food
+special fee's</p>

<hr>

<p>Total $$ paid to college expenses</p>

<ul>
<li><p>merit aid given</p>

<hr>

<p>Total $$ needed to attend (paid to college)</p></li>
<li><p>EFC</p>

<hr>

<p>Need based aid needed (paid to college)**</p></li>
<li><p>transportation</p></li>
<li><p>personal expenses</p>

<hr>

<p>Total cost of college</p></li>
</ul>

<p>**This need came be met in any number of ways. Including loans, grants, outside scholarships.</p>

<p>So many people forget to deduct that EFC when calculating need. (We did to at first). But not one school forgot it. LOL When it all shook out, our total EFC is pretty much what we are paying.</p>

<p>when i visited the school they said the overall expenses totaled 44,000 and my EFC was 3,000 leaving me with 41,000 in need and they only filled it with about 19,000 including grants, loans & work study</p>

<p>That's strange, I got 38K per year in scholarships and grants... although I must say, I am a Fl resident!</p>