First Campus Visit! Help Please-

<p>Hi Everyone
Well some of you may remember me…I posted about a month or more ago about how a Northern Girl down South would do…
Well we are finally going to do a campus visit! WooHoo. My DD got her new ACT scores and she was able to get her score up to a 30 - I promised her that if she made it we would go visit. </p>

<p>Soooo, I talked to Jami this afternoon…thank you so much everyone for the recommendation and contact information. She was wonderful and we will be doing a whirlwind tour on Monday, June 6th. Not sure of the schedule yet, just know that we have to be at Nott at 9am. </p>

<p>Here is my question: We are flying in a day early, so on Sunday, we are flying in from Chicago and our flight gets into Birmingham at about 8:30am. We have the whole day to explore both Birmingham and T-Town. Can you please give us some recommendations of what we must see and do? We want to get a feel for what the life of a student would be like. Shopping is always appreciated by my girls. Good places to eat for dinner both nights. Nothing expensive, but anything that is ‘tradition’ would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>I have never been to the area so we are flying a bit blind. We are staying in Birmingham both nights as our flight home on Tuesday is at 6am! Ughhh the things we do to use free tickets. lol </p>

<p>I cannot tell you how excited my daughter is. We have spent hours on the UA website and looking at the DVD that came with the marketing materials. Reading blogs and looking at videos. I think she sees herself here already.</p>

<p>My older DD who is at Iowa State is coming with as she is going to talk to them about grad school. Both girls will be in the Athletic Training program, and Jami is going to try to get us a tour of the facilities. This part is really important to DD as we have toured the facilities at all of the other schools we have visited and met with the directors of the programs. Since this is so far, and likely the only time she will get to visit, it would be wonderful for her to be able to do it here too.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for all of your help. I will report back once we do the tour.
WooHoo-</p>

<p>Congratulations to your D for her great ACT score. I hope you have lots of fun on your visit. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>If you are interested in cultural things, Birmingham has a lot of history. When we visited earlier this year we went to the Civil Rights Institute. On Sundays there is no ticket charge, the cashier simply ask you to make a donation. Just in front of the institute is Ingram Park and there is a self-guided tour into downtown that highlights the historic route by maps.</p>

<p>[Birmingham</a> Civil Rights Institute](<a href=“http://www.bcri.org/index.html]Birmingham”>http://www.bcri.org/index.html)</p>

<p>[Birmingham</a> Civil Rights Heritage Trail - Area Attractions - Things To Do - Greater Birmingham Convention & Visitors Bureau](<a href=“http://www.birminghamal.org/ttd-attractions-detail.aspx?ID=00355152]Birmingham”>http://www.birminghamal.org/ttd-attractions-detail.aspx?ID=00355152)</p>

<p>First of all…big congrats to your D for getting the ACT 30…that’s worth about $14k per year. :)</p>

<p>Here is my question: We are flying in a day early, so on Sunday, we are flying in from Chicago and our flight gets into Birmingham at about 8:30am. We have the whole day to explore both Birmingham and T-Town. Can you please give us some recommendations of what we must see and do? We want to get a feel for what the life of a student would be like. Shopping is always appreciated by my girls. Good places to eat for dinner both nights. Nothing expensive, but anything that is ‘tradition’ would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Well, if you head west on I20 from the airport, you’ll come into T-town (takes about 50 minutes). </p>

<p>Exit at McFarland…and head north. For shopping and eating, before you get to 15th St, Midtown Village will be on your left. (You’ll see Barnes and Noble Booksellers and Best Buy out front of Midtown Village). Lot of nicer shopping there.</p>

<p>Places to eat in Midtown Village…</p>

<p>Wings U…Crimson Tide theme…American food
Iguana Grill…neat interior, Mexican food
Longhorn…steaks…
Panera Bread…soups/salads/sandwiches
5 Guys Burgers…very good burgers and fries
Yogurt Mountain…frozen yogurt
Gigi’s Cupcakes…closed on Sundays…but if you’re there on Monday… :)</p>

<p>Of course, our dear Full Moon BBQ which was a little north of here was destroyed.</p>

<p>On to the campus area…</p>

<p>Continue North on McFarland Blvd (you’ll pass some Tornado destruction), and take the Univ Blvd exit…go right onto Univ Blvd.</p>

<p>Once on Univ Blvd and heading west, you’ll pass the new Capstone College of Nursing. Keep heading west and you’ll come onto campus.</p>

<p>After you pass Hackberry, you’ll come to the Quad…Denny Chimes, etc. This is the main area of the campus. If you continue on, you’ll pass the stadium (which will be on your left). You might want to stop, get out, and look at the stuff around the front of the stadium…statues…stuff on the ground, etc.</p>

<p>If you continue West on Univ Blvd, you’ll pass The Strip. Plenty of off-campus hangouts and places to eat there.</p>

<p>Bento Japanese…Bento Chix is very good…all stuff is good there.</p>

<p>If you continue going west (pass The Strip), after a bit, you’ll come to Downtown. More places to eat there…such as Mellow Mushroom (gourmet pizza) and DePalma’s (Italian).</p>

<p>Things to see…</p>

<p>The Riverwalk (along the Black Warrior River) …nice to get out and walk it.</p>

<p>Bear Bryant Museum</p>

<p>Outdoor Amphitheater…brand new</p>

<p>i’m sure others will chime in with more… LOL</p>

<p>Dreamland BBQ is “tradition” but either you’ll love it or be “ho hum” about it. Depends on whether you like a vinegary sauce or a sweeter sauce. We like Full Moon better because it has a sweeter sauce, but many people love Dreamland, too.</p>

<p>For shopping, the Summit is a must. The Galleria is also a place to go if you still want to shop after going through the entire Summit (which would be stellar feat). For dinner, I would recommend going and get some barbecue. The best barbecue in Birmingham is to be had at Jim 'N Nick’s (in my humble opinion…also SO glad they are opening one in Tuscaloosa soon).</p>

<p>If you go to Midtown Village, be sure to stop by “Alumni Hall” and “Bama Fever” for some Bama Spirit wear!.</p>

<p>To clarify, the Summit and Galleria are in Birmingham.</p>

<p>There is sooo much to do!
Shopping?
The University Mall is the place to go. Hopefully all the shops are open.
Things to see?

1. Paul Bryant Museum. Even if you’re not into football, check it out. There’s tons of school history. You’ll be saying “Roll Tide” for the rest of the day.
  2. University Arboretum. It was beautiful in the winter but we were told spring is the time to go if you want to see it in full bloom. It’s supposed to be spectacular. Don’t forget bug spray.
    Places to eat?
    Check out the thread “places to eat”, but do not miss Winzell’s! The seafood gumbo and oysters on the half shell were my favorites.
    BTW-if you get lost or need directions, stop walking and look confused for about 3 seconds.
    I guarantee someone will stop and help you. They’ll either give you directions or walk you to your destination.
    I swear Tuscaloosa is the FRIENDLIEST place on earth.
    Have Fun!!!</p>

<p>*For shopping, the Summit is a must. The Galleria is also a place to go if you still want to shop after going through the entire Summit *</p>

<p>the above are in Birmingham…so it might be something to do right after arrival.</p>

<p>The Galleria is a typical mall, however, The Summit is an outdoor lifestyle mall…which you may not have in colder Midwest. Outdoor Lifestyle Malls are becoming more popular in milder climates. If you’ve been to Southern Calif, Fashion Island is like the “mothership” of Outdoor Lifestyle Malls. The Summit in B’ham is a big one, Bridgestreet is modest-sized one that is growing (in Huntsville), and Midtown Village (in T-town) is a much smaller version…but may grow with age (it’s only about 2 years old).</p>

<p>You should eat dinner at the Cypress Inn on Monday night if possible before heading back to Birmingham. </p>

<p>If you want “campus feel” then Buffalo Phils (environment more than food) or Mugshots (best burgers on the planet) for lunch would be good choices after your meeting and tour.</p>

<p>What you might could do is come to Tuscaloosa first thing after arrival to get a feel for the town following m2ck’s directions so you won’t feel hurried on Monday (when you’ll have to deal with traffic), visit the Bryant Museum, etc. Then head back to Birmingham after lunch to get some shopping done.</p>

<p>I remember reading on another forum about a great resale store in T-town. I remember reading about it being a new favorite among the girls.</p>

<p>anyone?</p>

<p>Love lifestyle malls! We do have one in Oak Brook, which is fairly close to home, and I love it.</p>

<p>Is the Bama Fever store in T-town? I know she would love that. Also want to try to find the bookstore…will that be a part of the tour does anyone know?</p>

<p>Is there a Lillly Pulitzer in T-town? </p>

<p>Is University Mall in T-town?</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids i LOVE the directions. I am going to print all of your suggestions out and take them with me…keep them coming. </p>

<p>We will definitely hit a BBQ place for one dinner. Dreamland BBQ is on our list since it is tradition.</p>

<p>THANK YOU ALL!</p>

<p>We have definitely added the Paul Bryant Museum and the Arboretum to our list of things to see. She LOVES football…lol I tell her all the time that she is going to make some guy a very happy man…she can sit and spend all day Saturday watching college football games! She is a catch- ahahha</p>

<p>We will try to do those before lunch…then after lunch maybe some shopping and then walking around campus and town. Want to go over to the Riverwalk too. Maybe before or after dinner.</p>

<p>Not sure how long our tour will be on Monday. But hopefully we have some time to get to Gigi’s for a quick cupcake.</p>

<p>Where to go for a good traditional Southern breakfast?? Our tour on Monday is not until 9am. I want to introduce my DD to real comfort food!</p>

<p>Suggestions for something in T-town?</p>

<p>anyone?</p>

<p>Plato’s Closet?</p>

<p>Is the Bama Fever store in T-town? I know she would love that. Also want to try to find the bookstore…will that be a part of the tour does anyone know?</p>

<p>Yes, there is one at Midtown and one at University Mall. The bookstore is at the Ferguson Center where you will go at some point in the tour.</p>

<p>Is there a Lillly Pulitzer in T-town?</p>

<p>Never heard of it.</p>

<p>Is University Mall in T-town?</p>

<p>Yes.</p>

<p>For breakfast, definitely go to the Waysider. It was a favorite of Coach Bryant.</p>

<p>1512 Greensboro Ave
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401-4509
(205) 345-8239</p>

<p>You might want to get there before 8. It can get crowded afterwards.</p>

<p>Bama Fever has two locations in Tuscaloosa. One is in University Mall and the other is across the street in Midtown Village.</p>

<p>Alabama Express located on the strip next to Buffalo Phils (across the street from Publix) is a great store for buying UA shirts and trinkets etc etc. </p>

<p>The Supe Store (book store) is located on the bottom floor of the Ferguson Center on the UA campus. Not sure of their hours on Sunday but it will definitely be open on Monday. </p>

<p>University Mall is on McFarland blvd on the right hand side if you’re heading north towards The University. It’s right before 15th st. which is where the tornado blew through.</p>

<p>Waysider it is feenotype! Thanks so much- We will be there nice and early.</p>

<p>As Feenotype said, Waysider is a great choice for breakfast. 15th st Diner is also a good choice.</p>

<p>To get to the Waysider from Birmingham, get off the interstate at Exit 71B for I-359/Hwy 69 N. This is another freeway with exits. Get off at Exit 2 for 15th St and take a right at the bottom of the ramp. (As you’re making the exit, you’ll actually see the restaurant to your right.) Then go to the next traffic light and take another right. The tricky part is that you have to park in the back of the restaurant so you have to pass the Waysider and take a right at the next intersection to get to the parking lot behind the restaurant.</p>