First Gen Student at UCs?

<p>How much of a boost would I get if I am a first gen student applying to a UC (UC Irvine, Davis, San Diego)?</p>

<p>Alot or not that much?</p>

<p>Overall Unweighted High School GPA: 3.6
UC GPA (10th-11th Grades) : 3.5</p>

<p>I am a senior graduating 2011</p>

<p>SAT 1910 (CR 640 M 670 W 600) Will try to take again.</p>

<p>SAT 2 Math - Yet to take in October
SAT 2 Chem - 730
SAT 2 Bio - 700</p>

<p>First gen is considered by all UC campuses, but there isn’t necessarily a specific weight assigned to it. UCI is moving to holistic review this year so all factors are considered in context for admission evaluation. UCD reviews non-academic factors separately and there is no published weight for the different factors. UCSD assigns 300 points for first gen students (for the UCSD point system, see [UC</a> San Diego Comprehensive Review Admission Process: Freshman Selection](<a href=“http://www.ucsd.edu/prospective-students/freshmen/eval-process.html#process]UC”>http://www.ucsd.edu/prospective-students/freshmen/eval-process.html#process))</p>

<p>okay so within the application you state that you are a first gen student?</p>

<p>There is a question somewhere on the application that asks the education level of your parents, your first generation status is assessed based on your answer. You may also discuss being first generation in your personal statement.</p>

<p>Oh they eat that **** up like you wouldn’t believe. Sorry, harsh language, but what I mean is that it bodes very well for your application.</p>

<p>I’m fairly certain they view it as positive for a college’s reputation if they’re the ones responsible for sending the first member of your family to college. </p>

<p>Your scores look great, and your gpa is okay. I would definitely include the fact that you’re a first generation college student in your essay.</p>

<p>i didn’t really put that in my essay? i put my essay as something that aspired me to become and engineer or something</p>

<p>so i think ill just write on my application that my parents only graduated from high school</p>

<p>That’s fine. You should also apply to the EOP program.</p>

<p>what is the EOP Program? I clicked apply but now I need to write a (250 max) paragraph on why I should be in it? What is it for? I’m not that poor just middle class? I heard only very poor people get into the EOP?</p>

<p>EOP targets low-income and first generation students. You should write about why you will benefit from the program. Search “EOP” on UC campus websites to see the eligibility and benefits of the program; hopefully that will help you figure out what to write.</p>