First semester classes

<p>Thanks to APs I can place out of some of the first semester classes. Specifically English and Calc 1 & 2. However I still need to take ENGL1106. Is it possible to take that class my first semester to get it out of the way, or will I have to wait until second semester for it to be offered when most freshmen will be taking it?
Also, because I don't need to take Calc 1 & 2, and plan on taking vector my first semester, should I take diff eq and multivar my second semester?</p>

<p>Also, does this seem like a reasonable first semester:
•Eng 1024 (2)
•Chem 1035 (3)
•Chem lab 1045 (1)
•Engl 1106 (3)
•math 1114 Linear algebra (2)
•math 1224 vector (2)
•CLE area 6 (1) <-no clue which one yet, any insight on where I can read about the options available would be appreciated
•Hypatia 1034 (1) </p>

<p>total: 15C</p>

<p>Yeah you can take the second English class first semester. </p>

<p>Your schedule is pretty much what every engineering major does except you replaced Calc with an easier math class so yeah, it’s very doable. Try and get in that English class so you can stay ahead like I did and take the minimum number of classes your senior year.</p>

<p>CLE Area 6 options: [Area</a> 6: Creativity and Aesthetic Experience | Curriculum for Liberal Education | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.cle.prov.vt.edu/guides/area6.html]Area”>http://www.cle.prov.vt.edu/guides/area6.html)</p>

<p>Most classes in Area 6 are 3 credits but there are a few 1cr options, e.g., FA 2004 Creativity and Aesthetic Experience.</p>

<p>Son#1 took linear and vector the same semester and recommended doing so to son#2. I’m not sure about both diffeq and Calc III for second semester especially if paired with Physics. Son #1 took discrete math, calc III and Physics second semester. IMO that was a bit much but he seemed to think it was okay.</p>

<p>Creativity and Aesthetic Experience is the general BS class most people take to cover that requirement, but it’s going to be very difficult to get in to as a freshman.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses! Is there somewhere we can see whether courses are offered in both semesters or only one?</p>

<p>If you go to the VT website and search for “course listing” it will give you the link to the undergraduate courses where you can view all the classes offerred in each college. Many times the course description will show which semester(s) the class is typically offerred. However, not all colleges / classes have the indicator. Hope this helps some. Is there a particular class you are wondering about?</p>

<p>Agree, Creativity was a great option for the 1 credit area 6, not to mention it was offered P/F only. My son lucked out and got in it Fall his freshman year.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses! And there isn’t a particular class I was thinking about, just wondering for future reference because I heard from someone that if you skip some math classes it could cause difficulties in the future because some math classes aren’t offered every semester.</p>

<p>The basic math classes required for engineering are offered every semester.</p>

<p>Plus it’d be better to get em out of the way since they’re online. I know a lot of people who got both those done in a month or so. They’re both that easy.</p>

<p>As chuy mentioned, Creativity and Aesthetic Experience is the class most people take for the 1 credit requirement. I had a 3 credit requirement so I took Intro to Film (B with minimal effort- I think it’s now known as Intro to Cinema). </p>

<p>I’ve also heard that Intro Theatre, Music Appreciation, and Floral Design are not hard IF you get the right professors (Rinehart, Husser, and not sure, respectively)</p>

<p>You might have trouble with finding an Area 6 class that is considered easy at this point. Unless they save spots for freshman, most people complain of not getting those classes during course request. I’d try adding another required class depending on what you want to major in, if you can’t get an area 6, or to find another area to fulfill.</p>

<p>Hokie17,
Another way of figuring out when classes are offered historically is to go through the Univ Honors page. They have a link where it shows the course offerings from previous years. You can kind of see when their times are (although my s found that particular piece of info wasn’t always exact) and days of the week. Go to vt.edu, then Academic Programs, then University Honors, then click Course of Study planner, then on the right hand side you’ll see Historical Timetable. Good luck to you at VT!</p>

<p>Ok, so after looking more at classes these are the ones I signed up for, but then all 3 advisers told me I should seriously reconsider it and not overwhelm myself, so I’m looking for a bit more feedback.
As far as taking 3 math classes: I got a 5 in BC, but want to take 1206 because I looked at the syllabus and tests online and they covered some topics we never learned.</p>

<p>Chem-3
Chem lab-1
Enge1024-2
Detective fiction-3
Engineering research seminar-1
Hypatia-2
Linear algebra-2
Calc II-3
Vector geometry-2</p>

<p>Whoa, cowboy, what’s your hurry? 19 hours is a heck of a load! Especially for a freshman. I’d strongly recommend you drop back to 16 – remember, you’ve got 8 semesters to take classes. Also, a big part of college takes place outside of the classroom. I don’t doubt your ability to do the work, but freshman year is the best time to connect with other people, which will be hard to do if you’re holed up in your dorm room or the library all the time, IMHO.</p>

<p>Freshman year I was in Hypatia too! :slight_smile: I found it to be an invaluable program in terms of professional development (one of your first assignments is to create a resume, which puts you ahead of like 90% of students). Also, I would take Creativity & Aesthetic Experience as your 1-credit area 6 class, but you don’t need to take yet. I took it just last spring as a sophomore (it’s offered in both fall and spring). It’s definitely a BS class. You just have to attend four events throughout the semester. Interesting class though!</p>

<p>Also, I totally 100% agree with Dominar. 19 credits is a lot…if I were you, I seriously would reconsider it. I think a lot of students get caught up taking as much as possible because they’re used to that sort of mentality from high school (all honors, all AP, etc). My worst semester was my freshman fall semester, and I was taking only 16 credits as I had tested out of 30 credits total thanks to AP classes. It wasn’t horrible, but I’ve been bringing my GPA up since. To be honest, I didn’t really know how to study and had shaky study habits. As Dominar said, I don’t doubt your ability to do the work either, but you definitely should consider the social aspect of being in college. Your first semester is super fun and exciting. It’s an adjustment period. Being an engineering student, you’re already busier than the average student. You can load yourself up with tons of credits later. Enjoy yourself, you’re heading to the best school on earth in a month!!</p>

<p>P.S. I’m so so so so so jealous of you, I wish I could go back to freshman first semester :)</p>