First time foreign language course

<p>*I have heard that the Italian program is “better” than the Spanish program. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? *</p>

<p>I wouldn’t say that. My kids have taken several Spanish and Italian classes. They had excellent profs for all their classes. </p>

<p>the Italian program is a minor. The Spanish program is a major or a minor.</p>

<p>S is contemplating Italian 101 as he needs 4 more language credits for IHP, but he needs to take the other IHP classes as well so he will see how it goes. He took 2 years of French in middle school, 1 year of Latin & 4 years of Spanish. Might as well try Italian. Further Spanish isn’t an option as he barely got the 8 CLEP credits.</p>

<p>My D loved Italian & the professors so much that she declared an Italian minor. Great teachers.</p>

<p>Collegeboom, D will need to take 2 sciences and was planning to take GY 101 spring semester. Hopefully M2C will weigh in if D should avoid Bio 108. She’s also taking Spanish 353, English 215, Honors Logic, Math 112, and a 1 hour honors class.</p>

<p>Thank you all for input! D has a lot to think about and make a decision quickly!</p>

<p>I just assumed for sciences you had to take 2 semesters of the same class - a sequence. I did not think of her taking two 101 courses. </p>

<p>Indinct- Doesn’t the foreign language have to be all the same language for International Honors? Is your S in the IHP 155 class in the fall?</p>

<p>She also just thought that maybe she should try to CLEP out of macro since she only got a 3 on the AP exam. I wonder how it would be to pass 2 months after the class is over?</p>

<p>Oh, no, I didn’t mean to imply that biology was hard. I meant a class that included a lab, which will take an additional three hours a week. If your child’s biology class is one that is not for the majors, and does not have an accompanying lab, I’m sure he/she will be fine. Sorry I scared you!</p>

<p>I would also caution someone taking geography thinking it would be an easy A. There is probably a good amount of work involved in that class, and probably a lot of memorization. If your child did well in a particular in science in high school, the course for non majors will probably be just fine for them. Take a look at the core requirements and see which course appeals to their interest as well. No reason to take a boring class for a core just because you’re scared of a little work!</p>

<p>S is contemplating Italian 101 as he needs 4 more language credits for IHP, but he needs to take the other IHP classes as well so he will see how it goes. He took 2 years of French in middle school, 1 year of Latin & 4 years of Spanish. Might as well try Italian. Further Spanish isn’t an option as he barely got the 8 CLEP credits.</p>

<p>If your son took 4 years of Spanish, then he’ll find Italian to be very easy.</p>

<p>The Italian professors are really amazing, my son has taken several classes with them all.</p>

<p>No doesn’t need to be the same language for IHP from what I’ve read. And 2 summer programs=a semester abroad so he’s got 50% of that covered as of tomorrow. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind another summer program after Jr year or something. And with 3 months off you could probably squeeze it in & work.</p>