First Year Engineering: Creativity and Innovation in Engineering I Class

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Do any of the current engineering students know the difference in rigor between:</p>

<p>ENG 13500: Creativity & Innovation in Engineering I
and
ENG 19500: Honors Creativity & Innovation in Engineering I </p>

<p>I have heard that the Honors class is really difficult and a GPA killer. Is it worth taking?</p>

<p>Also...
In either class, when group projects are assigned, are the group members assigned too?</p>

<p>Thanks are any insight.</p>

<p>ENGR 135 is much less coding then ENGR 195. In 195 you learn Vpython, MATLAB, and C+ I believe and you have a big project where you have to program robots which is pretty cool but also really time consuming. </p>

<p>The first semester of regular ENGR is pretty much a waste but the second semester is all MATLAB and really sucks because they teach it pretty poorly. </p>

<p>However, from the people I know in honors they say it’s pretty rough but people struggle in both…</p>

<p>Yes, the whole entire class is more or less group based. For 135 you have to do a MEA and a Final Project the MEA is the most ridiculously ■■■■■■■■ thing you’ll ever do in your entire life and the Final Project for the first semester is designing a new transportation system for the campus. </p>

<p>Groups are assigned after you fill out this survey of times you are available. My suggestion is that if you know friends in the class all of you fill out the same thing so that you’re in a group together. Just a suggestion. :)</p>

<p>Thank you, Crazycat! I appreciate your answer.</p>

<p>I mistakedly typed ENG 13500 when I meant ENG 13100. I’m assuming you answered my question with that in mind.</p>

<p>Jimgotkp…any input?</p>

<p>I was in the honors program, I pretty sure you have to be in honors FYE to take it. It has a lot of differences from the regular engineering classes, its rough, but it’s definitely worth it.</p>

<p>You’re right, rkd.</p>

<p>I was invited into Honors and was trying to decide if the Honors classes (ENGR 131/132 in particular) were worth a possible GPA hit or not. </p>

<p>I’m still unsure…</p>

<p>Once you get further into your professional school (AAE, etc) you’ll see that it pays off, maybe not directly in technical skill, but definitely in work ethic.</p>

<p>I took the honors ENGR classes and I definitely agree with rkd. They can be frustrating and seem pointless at the time you take them, but you’ll do better in your subsequent classes. The honors classes teach you how to study and work hard for future classes (work ethic like rkd said)</p>

<p>I think part of the OPs concern about the honors versions of the courses is their potential effect on gpa. They teach you to study and work hard, but do you get a lower grade than you would if you took the “regular” version of the course, which would apparently be much easier?</p>

<p>No, as long as you do the work and put forth a reasonable effort you’ll get at least a B (my experience 2 years ago at least). My first semester I got a B and the second semester I got an A. The grades seemed a little arbitrary to be honest.</p>

<p>Like bjs said you’ll get a B as long as you don’t royally suck on the exams</p>