First Year Engineering Requirements

Few questions:

1. What is the minimum credit hours required for FYE? Total of both semesters.
  2. Is Physics a requirement in the second semester? Or can it be taken in the subsequent semesters?
  3. Will Q-dropping Chem in the first semester affect my chances of continuing in Engineering? (I am not doing well in Chem)
    Thank you all in advance for your replies.
    Appreciate it.

@Magic09 I’m sure others will chime in, but here’s my opinion:

I don’t think there is a requirement for FYE, but the university requires 12 hours to be a full-time student. If you drop below 12 hours, it could affect your financial aid (if you are receiving any). Here’s what the Office of the Registrar’s website says:
“A student who is enrolled in less than a full-time course of study at Texas A&M may be in jeopardy of:
• losing insurance coverage under his or her parent/guardian’s insurance policy;
• being out of compliance with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly INS) if enrolled at Texas A&M on a student visa;
• being placed on a loan repayment schedule by a lender or guarantor if the student is the recipient of Federal financial aid; and/or
• losing a scholarship if the guidelines for receiving the scholarship require full-time enrollment, etc.”
http://registrar.tamu.edu/Courses,-Registration,-Scheduling/Registration-Enrollment-Information/Enrollment-Status-Definitions#0-Undergraduate%26ProfessionalStudents

Unless you plan on taking 2 semesters of chemistry, you’ll need physics for your Entry to a Major (ETAM). You may need it for your degree plan, also. If you want to push physics to next fall, it will delay your entry to a major by one semester. If you are OK with that, then you would apply to your major fall of 2019.

I don’t think so. If you drop, do you plan on taking it again in the spring? Have you gone to the professor or TA’s office hours? You need to speak with your instructors before dropping. They may be able to help you pass the class. Don’t forget that you only get 4 Q-drops at TAMU.

@Magic09 - Along with speaking to your chem instructors, please go speak with an advisor ASAP. Explain your situation and find out what your options are. They have helped students in your situation before. You are not the only first year engineering student struggling with a class! Hang in there!

Thank you for this detailed information!