First Year Residency Requirement

Has anyone with an incoming Freshmen at the University of Illinois ever successfully got a waiver so that their freshman does not have to live on campus the first year? We live 10 minutes from the U of I and we are worried we will have to shell out $15,000 for him to stay on campus instead of ten minutes away at his home. Anyone experienced this? Thank you and any help appreciated.

You might reconsider- part of going to college is - going to college. The student will miss out significantly if they’re not integrated.

That said, you might call - you don’t need to disclose your name - and ask them - what reasons have people used that were successful.

It’s likely a situation like yours (distance) combined with affordability (if you can show that’s an issue too).

Good luck.

1 Like

Yes, I know several students that live at home and commute to UIUC from Champaign.

I don’t recommend commuting from home, unless living on-campus is not affordable.

That said, I believe among the reasons you can request a waiver is living with parents within 40 miles of the campus.

1 Like

https://www.housing.illinois.edu/Apply/New-Resident/FAQ

Call and talk with housing /admissions.

1 Like

See Part 2, Article 2 » Student Code » Illinois section 2-201c.3.A.

1 Like