First Year Student Who Doesn't Know Whether to Wait it out or Transfer. Any Advice?

I know, I know, It’s very typical for first year students to have trouble adjusting and it’s a cliche to want to transfer only one semester in. Coming in to this year, I had made an assumption that this adjustment would not be as difficult for me as it has proved to be. After consulting many different people, from tufts and different schools alike, the general consensus on advice seems to be to wait it out and see if things approve second semester. Any advice for how to seek out a stronger sense of community and identity within the student body or how to keep an open mind about the whole process?
I know transferring can work wonders for so many students, but to be honest, I am afraid of having to transfer. At the same time, I am afraid of being stuck in a place where I feel I do not belong for the next four years.
Any help or guidance would be much appreciated, thank you!

I’m a fan of “and” > “or”.

1. Identify a couple of schools that you think might suit you better. To do that think about specific things that you would like to change. No generic ‘I don’t feel like I fit in’ or ‘the vibe isn’t right’! Push yourself to be specific about elements that would suit you better.

and

1. If you are at Tufts, you are probably looking at peer schools (or, if the real problem is that Tufts was your least-bad choice, you are still smarting about not getting into the fancier name that you had hoped for and you are hoping to trade up- super selectives). These schools are likely to want some academic rationale for why you want their school. So, start drafting a “why I want to transfer to your school” essay.

Between them they may help you clarify your thinking. If you come back from winter holidays still thinking that you want to transfer you will have done some good prep work for applications that will be due in March/April.

5 Likes

Your post doesn’t explain what the problem is. Elaborate.

Transferring may work wonders for some kids, but the reality is that it’s simply putting you back at square one and starting all over again. I don’t see what that accomplishes. My advice is to wait it out . . . and maybe get some help/support in figuring out what the problem is. College is a time for personal growth and self-discovery. Transferring might simply be running away from a real learning opportunity.

3 Likes

Are you currently a first year students at Tufts (in Medford, Massachusetts)?

Can you afford to attend Tufts for four years? Are you taking on any debt to attend?

What is your major?

Can you explain what is bothering you about Tufts?

If you have chosen the wrong style of education for yourself, you should feel free to explore potentially more suitable options. By thinking of your situation in this simple sense, you can defer your concerns as you gather information.

Read this. It might give you a bit of perspective. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/to-those-who-feel-lonely-homesick-friendless-think-they-chose-the-wrong-school-etc

Is the problem you, or the school? Did you have unrealistic expectations? Because your post is so vague, it’s hard to know what the issue might be. I think @collegemom3717 is spot on.

Re apps being due in March (typically mid March for Ivies, etc…), you’re going to need really great prof recs if you hope to transfer to schools even more selective than Tufts. So even if you aren’t loving your time there, you should still put your best effort into your classes.

1 Like

Some students choose schools that are a bad fit for them for any number of reasons and they transfer to a better fit and are happy. Many more find ways to make their current situation a good one.

@collegemom3717 has excellent advice. Lay the groundwork for a transfer both so you aren’t scrambling in the spring and to help you clarify your thinking now.

In the meantime, visit counseling services. They can also help. Some have groups of students who are sharing the same sentiment. Try to get involved in a couple of things you might enjoy. Without knowing what feels off to you, it’s hard to say where you might find happiness at Tufts.

3 Likes