Fish camp nerves

If I knew it wasn’t critical to my survival at tamu I would certainly not go to fish camp. I hate to be pessimistic but I dislike pretty much everything about summer camp and orientation. I’m kind of an introvert, occasionally socially awkward and I like to meet people my own way. With that said I’m super nervous about fish camp. I’m not good insocial crowds :frowning:

If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone. Your post could have been written by my son. He is very intelligent, but he is not a social butterfly, does not enjoy crowds, keeps to himself, and probably would not go to Fishcamp if I had not told him it was an important part of his transition to college. I really have no words of wisdom for you, but if both you and my son are similar in this way I am sure there are others!

I am class of '85 and I did not attend Fish Camp and still regret it to this day. I can’t even remember why I didn’t attend-it may have been full by the time I tried to register or maybe finances prevented me from going who remembers!?

Anyway, when my son was accepted this year I told him he really needed to go and although he sounds exactly like @sparkmom’s son he seems pretty excited about the prospect. We just returned from his NSC and he met a lot of nice kids and got some phone numbers and was texting up a storm there and on our way home. So I guess what I am trying to say is this is a new phase in your life and it is a great time to put yourself out there and meet some new people. Lots and lots of kids are nervous and worried about meeting new people and fitting in but I think you’ll be surprised at how easy it will be to connect at your NSC and at Fish Camp and in and around campus.

Good luck and have fun! I know you won’t regret going. The kids you meet at Fish Camp may turn out to be life long friends and wouldn’t you hate to miss out on that possibility?

My son is very much like you. He just finished his freshman year at A&M. He signed up for fish camp because he heard he should but wasn’t super excited about it. He was so glad he did. He had a good time and it gave him a group to go do things with his first semester. He liked it so much he applied to be a counselor this summer and was got into session g(it is surprisingly competitive to get to be a fish camp counselor). Are you signed up yet? Is so which session?