Flagship Journalism School California

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>What do you think about Cali's journalism schools, and which one is in your opinion the best? Ive read a lot of University of Southern C. and about their j program, but i think theyve too many beach boy/girl students. Furthermore i think that pepperdine, who should also have a good program, is a bit too religious for me. Ive also read about UC Irvine.
Do you would recommend any school other school for media/journalism/writing/communications area?</p>

<p>San Francisco State, San Diego State, Long Beach State and Chico State have quality programs.</p>

<p>I would say forget the CSUs and aim for either a good private school (the Claremont McKenna schools, Stanford or USC) or try and get into a UC. A lot of schools in California don’t have a journalism major, so in those cases major in english (it doesn’t really matter). UCI does have a good lit journalism program (which is what I’m planning on doing), they have pretty good internships from what I can tell. UCI also has a one of the best English departments in the country and their MFA program is top 10 I believe. Anyhow I would seriously consider it, a long with the top schools. Don’t go to a CSU unless you have amazing extra-curriculars or have amazing connections, journalism is super competitive and they just don’t cut it (actually Cal Poly SLO is the only exception).</p>