FLC Predicament

<p>Alright, I have a little bit of a predicament here. See, I signed up for the “Chemistry, Energy & the Environment” Freshman Learning Community a while back because it sounds very interesting and a class I would really enjoy. However, I have since been to Bama Bound and have formed my schedule and now I have a bit of an issue. With this FLC, I will be taking 17 credit hours - Freshman Engineering courses, aerospace courses, honors chem, calc II, physics w/ calc I, and this flc. Its a pretty heavy schedule and ontop of that, my wednesday I will have class from 9am to lunch, and then from lunch to 5pm and the flc is from 5-6 that day. </p>

<p>I really want to take this class and if it just involves going and discussing a topic, I might want to keep it in my schedule. But, if it is going to involve more homework, testing, and other work that takes time outside of classtime, then I think I should just drop it. </p>

<p>What do you guys think? Has anybody taken this class or one like it?</p>

<p>Ok…Dr. Dixon teaches that class. He is brilliant, but intense. It may require a lot of time/effort.</p>

<p>You might keep the class, go to the first one, get a feeling, and then decide to drop. If you drop immediately, it won’t show as a W.</p>

<p>August 31 Last day to drop a course without a grade of “W”</p>

<p>Frankly, I think your schedule without this class will be tough enough for a first semester frosh. </p>

<p>I think Dixon teaches honors Chem, right?</p>

<p>actually, yes. I did not even realize until just now that he is teaching my Honors Chem class as well. lol. Another concern I have, however, is that I am receiving a scholarship that covers tuition (UA OOS scholarship + Engineering Supplement) and with the flc I have 17 credit hours. Will that all be covered under my scholarship?</p>

<p>Yes, scholarships now cover up to 20 credits per semester.</p>

<p>Jab…</p>

<p>Send scholarships an email and mention both scholarships that you have (school and engineering). Tell them that you’ll be taking 17 credits this semester so you need an adjustment to your scholarships. </p>

<p>In case the person who answers your email doesn’t know, mention that a decision was made last fall by Dr. Bonner and Scholarships to cover up to 20 credits for scholarship students.</p>

<p>I think I am just going to drop the Physics Class. On the aerospace engineering track it has me taking it next semester, so I think I’ll just stick with that. I was gonna take it this semester because I was taking Calc II instead of Calc I, and I dont have to take English Comp because of AP scores, so I was gonna have an open number of hourse, but it should be fine if I’m taking it next semester.</p>

<p>Glad to see that you got it all worked out. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I’m in the chem, energy, and environment FLC as well! I’ve heard that he is brilliant as well and I think it will be quite an interesting class!</p>