Florida Publics - will now have less majors - officially

Are the liberal arts all good in teaching you to think and write, etc.

Florida officially says no. It’s no longer just an idea. He’s even suggesting another college.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/15/politics/desantis-signs-dei-defunding-bill/index.html

I"f you want to do things like gender ideology, go to (the University of California) Berkeley,” DeSantis added"

Woo hoo! Shout out to Cal! :smiley:

6 Likes

That CNN page does not even give the bill number…

The bill signed by DeSantis that may relate to defunding some college majors is Florida SB 266.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2023/266

The relevant part regarding college majors appears to be the addition of section 1004.06(2)(b) (see lines 299-318 at https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2023/266/BillText/er/HTML ).

1 Like

Go Bears! :bear:

1 Like

I think a university should be a place where students can delve into topics and subjects that broaden their perspective and show how interconnected ALL learning really is. Limiting the spirit of inquiry, immersion, and scholarship by deciding which subjects are worthy of advanced study in a higher education setting strikes me as folly of the highest order.

The motto of the University of California is “Fiat Lux,” or “Let there be light.” It’s a dangerous enterprise to try to pick and chose which academic offerings are worthy of illumination. Albert Einstein is credited with saying that “As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” Let there be light indeed!

8 Likes

Not only may Florida public colleges,

not expend
312 any state or federal funds to promote, support, or maintain any
313 programs or campus activities that:
314 (a) Violate s. 1000.05; or
315 (b) Advocate for diversity, equity, and inclusion, or
316 promote or engage in political or social activism, as defined by
317 rules of the State Board of Education and regulations of the
318 Board of Governors. (emphasis added)

but it also appears that discrimination based on gender is now allowed in the public institutions’ spending (italicized words are supposed to be struck through, emphasis added)

may not shall expend any funds, regardless of source, to
306 purchase membership in, or goods and services from, any
307 organization that discriminates on the basis of race, color,
308 national origin, sex, disability gender, or religion.

I don’t think that I ever thought I’d see the day when a government within the United States would be so opposed to celebrating people of all backgrounds, ensuring that everyone has a fair opportunity in life, and making people feel a sense of belonging that they would create a ban for the use of public funds for such a purpose. Not only does it feel dystopian, but it feels like some kind of satire where I’m waiting for the humor to come through but just can’t fathom what it might be.

Perhaps it’s mentioned elsewhere, but I’m surprised that the CNN article doesn’t mention the permission to now discriminate on the basis of gender (which I am assuming is targeting much of the LGBTQ community). Frankly, this feels scary to me.

9 Likes

And people are loving it. I agree. It’s nuts. And disgusting.

6 Likes

Way to go FL and TX. Cut Liberal Arts, and gut tenure while you’re at it. What could possibly go wrong? LOL

This says that the state may not expend any funds to purchase things FROM any group that discriminates.

Isn’t that a good thing?

3 Likes

That was my take on it as well.

1 Like

Yes and no.

Many tend to seek minority ir female suppliers, as an example, to try and ensure fairness since purchasers have been so inherently biased over time.

Others would counter with why should I be penalized for stuff I wasn’t involved in - ie decades and centuries of discrimination.

My daughter will be measuring efforts this summer for women and minority owned bidders on state contracts. Working for the state. I’d imagine Florida would not have this role anymore.

This pertains only to Florida public university spending. It is likely there are other provisions of Florida public contracting law with set-asides for small businesses, veteran owned businesses, business owned by disabled persons or in economic impact zones, etc etc. Others may include racial/gender/income preferences.

I see.

I wonder if majors will end ? If so what will kids do ? Hopefully they can at least finish ??

Presumably this affects only juniors ( seniors are done and sophomores can choose other majors). I don’t imagine there are very many such juniors now, but hopefully they can finish up. There were 23 graduates in women’s studies at UF in 2020

I’ll admit to not supporting such things because I know H has talked about clients of his where the W “owns” the business solely in order to qualify, even though the H does all or nearly all of the actual work.

However, I also know there’s bias toward white/male/tradition (X has always provided these services).

I think the fairest system would be blind bids - all bids submitted on a form with no identifying information, assign numbers or something to retrieve that info if a bid was selected.

But I imagine folks would find a way around that too.

2 Likes

But a woman owned business should still not be discriminating against other groups if it wants to do business with the university. They shouldn’t refuse to serve other groups, hire males (if the job can be done equally well by either sex), refuse to sell its products to minority businesses.

I don’t read this as “it also appears that discrimination based on gender is now allowed in the public institutions’ spending”

I’m not saying that Desantis doesn’t want to eliminate spending on groups he doesn’t agree with, but not sure this is it.

It’s good that they’re not being allowed to discriminate for race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or religion. Sadly, the proposed law is crossing out gender as a protected category (it’s italicized here). Thus, discrimination based on gender WILL be allowed by companies that the government spends public funds on. (The words shall and gender were both italicized, i.e. crossed out.)

ETA: In trying to make the text accessible to visually-impaired people, I didn’t do a snip. Perhaps this will help those who are not visually impaired.

1 Like

But sex was inserted.

1 Like

Florida’s position could be defended from a simple financial standpoint as cost containment. The DEI complex is growing and adding more staff and support.

There is also a potential defense similar to Vanderbilt’s “principled neutrality” approach.

“A university’s obligation is not to protect students from ideas, but rather expose them to ideas, to help make them capable of handling and, hopefully, having ideas.” Vanderbilt doesn’t take positions on abortion, guns or climate change, but it will ensure that on its campus you are free to state your position and hear others’ viewpoints.

“Principled neutrality isn’t enough to prepare students to be good and thoughtful citizens. Too many are “taking cues from the polarized culture around them,” Mr. Diermeier says—they’re declaring that those with opposing views aren’t merely incorrect but immoral. Such “moral tribalism” and a culture of condemnation has severely impeded the free exchange of ideas that is higher education’s lifeblood.”

The problem isn’t that kids are getting exposed to new ideas it is the fear that ideas are being presented as institutional orthodoxy or endorsements of certain points of view.

Maybe the Vanderbilt approach is right (between UCs and Florida)?

3 Likes

[quote=“parent365, post:5, topic:3638563”]
I think a university should be a place where students can delve into topics and subjects that broaden their perspective and show how interconnected ALL learning really is. Limiting the spirit of inquiry, immersion, and scholarship by deciding which subjects are worthy of advanced study in a higher education setting strikes me as folly of the highest order.In my opinion, a university should be a place where students can explore disciplines and themes that extend their horizons and demonstrate just how interrelated ALL learning is. I find it to be the height of foolishness to restrict the spirit of inquiry, immersion, and research by determining which topics are deserving of advanced study in a higher school setting.

In my opinion, a university should be a place where students can explore disciplines and themes that extend their horizons and demonstrate just how interrelated ALL learning is. I find it to be the height of foolishness to restrict the spirit of inquiry, immersion, and research by determining which topics are deserving of advanced study in a higher school setting.

1 Like