Flying with an instrument

Any advice on the logistics of purchasing an airline ticket for a large instrument? Mainly…what do I put down for the passenger name?

Thanks!

EXTRASEAT is the name

1 Like

I bought an extra seat for my daughter. For Jet Blue there was also a place to specify musical instrument while booking.

The first time I missed it and called the airline to book the extra seat so that is always an option. (The phone queue was over an hour though!)

Thank you both!

Many airlines have a “flying with musical instruments on our flight” web page. I’d start by looking for that on the airline you are flying.

You can also find general guidance on a site like Home | Chamber Music America

1 Like

Thank you!

I’ve only purchased tickets on Southwest for my son and his cello. We purchase one seat in his name and the second with XS as the middle name and my son’s name for the first and last name. He talks to the gate agents when he arrives and lets them know he’s there, boards first with the folks that need assistance, sits in the bulkhead row, and the cello goes in the window seat. If you’re flying on an airline with assigned seats make sure you know which seats the instrument can ride in and buy that seat.

I haven’t been able to book without paying the exact same price for the cello’s seat. American, domestic. I thought I was supposed to get some fees and taxes back. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

I’ve always had to pay the same fare for the cello’s seat as for my son’s. Same fare same fees.

1 Like

I thought the fare was the fare but the airport surcharges were per passenger…

Not where I am. Full charges. No price breaks.

Alas. I will stop looking for the refund form, then. Thanks.