Food during finals

<p>Are any of the food establishments on campus open 24 hrs, or extended hours during finals week? </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>I don’t know, but Waffle King on the Strip is open 24 hours.</p>

<p>Fresh Foods will be open 24 hours! (Just kidding). Their hours are a big pet peeve of mine. Last year during move in weekend (you know, when you have 25000 students, plus untold hordes of family members) it might be a good idea to be open every day from say, 8-8. But, what do I know?</p>

<p>Actually, rolltide, glad you mentioned that. Reminded me:</p>

<p>All students/ parents moving in early for OA/AA…no food on campus for move in last year. It was horrible. Especially since we were stuck waiting for lost luggage to arrive. So be prepared. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>The pizza delivery guys probably make half their annual income that one week.</p>

<p>Fresh Foods hours are odd, but I think because it’s not a dining hall that close to dorms the thinking is that once most kids are out of classes, they aren’t going to go to FF. Instead they’ll go to Lakeside, Bryant, Burke or the Strip.</p>

<p>I just don’t understand that logic. The Ferg is the center of student activity. It isn’t about proximity to residence halls because they are in all directions from the hub that is the Ferg. It would only make sense that during PEAK periods (Move in, Game Day, etc at a minimum) it be more accessible and available to customers. By that logic, then the other establishments such as Subway and Chik Fil A shouldn’t be open either. Not all students can afford to burn dining dollars or bama cash when a meal plan location can and should be open.</p>

<p>Again, I am not asking for a midnight pizza buffet when they have the munchies. I just think that given their size, locations, and capabilities for variety, they need to be open more. A 2PM closure this Friday when they know students and their parents will be here for move out, graduation, etc. is just not acceptable.</p>

<p>The Ferg really isnt’ the center of student activity during late afternoon or evening hours. It’s rather empty at that point. Residential students have gone home to their dorms. </p>

<p>The 2pm closure this Friday may be odd, but realize that people have been moving out all week. They don’t just move out on Friday. And, while moving out, these folks are closer to the dining halls near their dorms…what time are Lakeside, Burke, and Bryant closing?</p>

<p>During home gameday saturdays, the Ferg Food Court is open, but I don’t know if Fresh Foods is open. If not, it must be because it wasn’t cost effective.</p>

<p>Oh no! All nighter time? Waffle King sounds good. Plenty of coffee. Stay away from heavy foods. GL</p>

<p>We always seem to wind up at the Arby’s on University during move in/move out. </p>

<p>When visiting by myself, I like to go to Newks. Healthier fare. Love the salads.</p>

<p>We got really lucky with the move-in weather last August. It wasn’t hot and it wasn’t humid. Move-in was a well oiled machine. I never even noticed that the food places on campus weren’t open because we were either running errands throughout Tuscaloosa to pick up the items D still needed, or we were enjoying a stroll to the Strip. In the evening we headed to Mugshots with a group of kids/parents who were also moving in that day. If it had been 95 degrees with 95 percent humidity, as we were expecting, I would have been much less likely to be running around town and walking to the Strip. Here’s hoping for a repeat of that moderate weather for Move-in 2013!</p>

<p>Yes it surprised me sitting in front of the Ferg at 5:00 2 weeks ago, it was dead. The bookstore was closed. Only traffic was Starbucks & it was minimal at best. Just some students cutting through & heading home. Also surprised me Starbucks & the Supe store open late on Sat am.</p>

<p>Oh course, it might be DEAD because EVERYTHING IS CLOSED. Not the other way around.</p>

<p>I have been horribly disappointed on every trip to BAMA that the Supe closes so early…Panhellenic Preview with over a thousand girls and their folks in town…and the Supe closed at two…Party weekend, same thing. We actually stayed until nine Sunday morning and paid to tour the Bear Bryant Museum JUST SO WE COULD BUY A TEE IN THEIR SMALL GIFT SHOP.</p>

<p>Hear Hear, TX! Like I said earlier, I don’t expect a 24/7 operation out of Fresh Foods. I don’t even expect them to be open until Midnight or anything like that. But, I don’t think asking them to be open until 7 or 8 in the evening is asking too much. When they are open, the line is often out the door, so that should say something about demand. With another record enrollment surely on the way this fall it only makes even more sense to offer options.</p>

<p>I just think that common sense would dictate that during PEAK PERIODS they would be open to accommodate the increased load. A perfect example is move-in weekends. We checked out Lakeside for the first time with our S last August and waited in line at the top of the stairs, almost out the door. Think maybe balancing the load would be in order???</p>

<p>Students don’t really spend a lot of time in the Ferg outside of business hours or really after 2:00 PM. Fresh Foods operates as excess capacity during the busy weekday lunch hours. Historically, Lakeside and Burke have operated on a very limited menu from 2:00 PM Friday to 4:00 pm Sunday. Half of the seating capacity at Lakeside is often closed off due to low demand even during weekday lunch and dinner. </p>

<p>Fresh Foods was open for dinner for one or two weeks this year when Burke was being remodeled. While this wasn’t advertised very well, very few students took advantage of the opportunity to eat dinner at Fresh Foods.</p>

<p>It’s very common for students to eat on the Strip for dinner and on weekends as there’s a greater variety of food.</p>

<p>Bama Dining has been operating its La Lola Loca taco truck outside Blount Hall and Ridgecrest South from 3:30 pm-7:00 om Monday through Thursday and some days there are tons of people and some days maybe 5-10 people show up.</p>

<p>I sort of agree with everyone here on having adjusted hours during Orientations, Parent weekend, Move-In, etc for food places at the Ferg - same with the Supe store. If I remember correctly, during parent weekend last year, the Supe store was not open Sunday. All those parents in town with money to spend… Same with the spiritwear stores on the Strip - they were packed for Parent Weekend but with a very small selection of hoodies, sweatshirts, etc… Very picked over - they said they don’t start carrying colder weather stuff until later in the year. I get that, it’s Alabama, but I don’t know how many people I heard ask if they had any sweatshirts in the back (they didn’t). We would have bought more! Had S buy a couple of things later in the year but he can only carry so much on the plane. But I guess that is what the internet is for…</p>

<p>I think they are planning just for the students…</p>

<p>HELLO??? The MONEY IS WITH THE VISITORS!!!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Last Friday D and I were on her senior band trip and visited another university for a clinic, tour and lunch. The campus was not near as pretty as Alabama. As for their food situation they did have one very nice option. It was thru their hospitality school. It was amazing! You paid $10 and entered what looked like a mall food court. It was all you can eat. The worlds only all you can eat Chick-Fil-A is in there. Of course, all of the guys on the trip thought that was the greatest. This “restaurant” has lunch and dinner till late 7 days a week.<br>
Now, their spirit/supply store… for game days the location is great. Other times it is not even remotely convenient. It was built into the stadium on the lower level. It was far from every building but one. If the Sup Store was at Bryant-Denny it would be a better location than at this school on the other side of the Red River from me.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There is a branch location of the Supestore in Tutwiler Hall across the street from Bryant-Denny Stadium.</p>

<p>^^ Yes, that is nice! At this other school their only location was on the underside of their stadium. Not a great location and not easy to get to. It was the only thing there and it was pretty empty and this was at 12:00. If you were headed to a class and needed something there would be no way to run by there and grap something like you could at UA.</p>