Food For Thought

<p>Does being an African American really help during the admission process? </p>

<p>Just a side thought Ive been in honors, DE, AP and all that mess since 10th grade and Im literally the only black male in the accelerated classes so Affirmative Action better help ne after putting with the garbage I've been through these 4 years, but I'm here for opinions!!</p>

<p>wow I misspelled me*</p>

<p>I hope you don’t misspell anything on your applications. </p>

<p>And to answer your question, I’m under the impression that being black is generally an asset. Apply to colleges in the Midwest and in other areas lacking diversity; if you’re a good candidate for admission at such a school, you can pretty much expect an offer of admission. Schools out there, especially in rural areas (think Carleton, Grinnell, Hillsdale, Bard, Centre, Kalamazoo, etc.), are always looking to increase diversity. I’m pretty sure Hillsdale came to my school with diversity as a primary motivator.</p>

<p>At HBCUS, male students are in short supply, so there’s an advantage you may want to exploit.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The short answer: Yes.</p>

<p>The long answer: Yes.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It is not an opinion that African-American students receive tangible benefits during the application process.</p>

<p>Thanks both of you! It’s just trying to be black AND get educated is the hardest thing that Ive faced so far in life and I might as well try to find all the advantages I can find to carry my education to the next level!</p>