Football fight=bad school

<p>I cannot believe that after witnessing a horrible fight that occured at MY school(I am a freshman), that the most you people on CC can talk about was "how good was family weekend?!" I was led to believe a false assumption that UM was a "great school for academics and serious studying." I supposed that they had a good point considering UM is currently ranked 54. However, President Sha-la-la's inability to affectively deal with the misconduct of the various football players on the team clearly shows that
A)This school clearly has no intent on punishing people that are valuable to their Athletic Department and
B)This school clearly values athletics over academics.
It is obvious that if any academic student committed any horrendous action such as that committed by the football players they would be immediately expelled from UM.</p>

<p>I also read somewhere that UM also accepted a student to play football that had been arrested more than 3 times on significant charges. It shows how this University cares how well the student performs athletically rather than how they perform academically.</p>

<p>In addition to this I have also noticed that this University is unable to help Freshmen become well adjusted to their surroundings and often ignore the problems of most Freshmen. A perfect example of this would be the suicide that occured in my dorm 3 weeks ago. I know that the University possibly couldn't have done anything to stop the suicide of this student. Actually it appeared that the University tried to cover up the suicide of this student by not telling anyone what had happened. Furthermore when others did find out about this, not the slightest message was posted anywhere (website, wall of dorm, etc.) telling students where they could seek help if they were feeling depressed or lonely. I know suicides are a big part of college life but when it occurs at other Universities the administration takes steps to inform other students where and when they can receive help.</p>

<p>Needless to say, I will be transferring out of the Univeristy of Miami AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE! The actions of the administration are outrageous and incompetent in dealing with football misconduct and student emotional issues.</p>

<p>I would also suggest that anyone considering this school for academic reasons should and MUST look for other Universities. I cannot emphasize this more. This is not to say that their classes are challenging, but if one expects heavy intellectual involvement among the University community they are sadly mistaken.</p>

<p>Shastarasta, I can't believe that you were as offended as you seemed to be. To transfer out of a school because football players got into a brawl or one student commits a suicide seems idiotic to me,but I am not you.</p>

<p>The school can't control what happens upon sudden emotional outbursts. Just like schools generally have no control over students that are suicidal, homicidal, or prone to theft or take drugs. These things happen at MANY school!</p>

<p>Football also has a "thug" mentality. The players also tend to be more emotional than that of other sports for some reason.</p>

<p>As to the fight on the field, frankly I personally found it fun to watch as a fan. I was not as horrified as you seem to be. To me, it adds to the spirit of the game.</p>

<p>If you are so horrified, don't go to the games! However, if you feel the strong need to transfer because of this one incident or because of a suicide then you must have some other reasons for leaving. I can't believe that a fight on the football field would turn you off to Miami so intensely. If it does, good riddance to you, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.</p>

<p>I will guarantee you one thing: The grass isn't necessarily greener elsewhere. You will find problems like this mentioned at all school. If it isn't a fight on the field, it will be too many people taking drugs or getting drunk or committing suicide. These are sadly common occurrences.</p>

<p>In terms of having intellectual discussions with people, there are a number of very sharp people who attend UM. You just need to meet them.</p>

<p>" A few bad apples does not necessarily spoil the whole bunch."</p>

<p>While, I didn't necessarily care to much for the "fight," and found it to be childish, immature, and yes "thug"-like. It's not exactly like this is all UM's fault. FIU was involved as well, not to mention, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there was a fight between a couple of IVY schools during a football game that very same day. The only reason that this became such an issue was due to UM's reputation and the national media exposure. Can you say Duke Lacross? To discount Duke (and believe me...I'm no Duke fan!) because of the actions of a few students does not decrease the educational opportunities of that institution. New York City has or had a reputation as being a very violent city. Does that mean that I should never step in it? No. It just means, that I have to take in all the considerations before I make a decision. I'm sorry that the fight happened because of what it is doing to the U, but in life...sometimes you just have to deal with it and put up with the bad to enjoy the good.</p>

<p>I still am proud that my son goes to the U. He has gotten a very good education. He's happy, has no regrets about his decision to attend, and from all indications so far, will go on to succeed quite nicely. </p>

<p>1tcm (mom of a soon-to-be UM alum)</p>

<p>You guys fail to address the main point of my post. Mainly, that UM accepted football players with troubled pasts (getting arrested, etc...). Also, FIU suspended their players for the whole season! and all UM has the guts to do is suspend their players for one game?!?! THATS LAME, especially on president sheniquas part. I also said that universities cant control suicides, but they should at least better advertise where students can seek hlep if they need it. NYC hasnt been a violent city since the 70s, wake up! there def isnt a son of same anymore, and I dont think times sq is that bad either. Just the fact that some people enjoyed the fight and see it as no big deal (president, fellow students) almost ensures, imo, that this school will never be a top 50 bc the mentality of the majority of the students is def not in accord with a top 50 institution.</p>

<p>Not to sound bad, but I actually enjoyed watching the fight. First, nobody got hurt - they were all wearing Pads and Helmets! Second, because the fights don't actually injure anybody (football players get tackled 3x harder than what you've seen in that fight - on a day to day basis!), they only serve the purpose of igniting school spirit.</p>

<p>The kid that committed suicide did not commit suicide in anyone's dorm! It was in his beachhouse away from campus. I doubt his suicide has anything to do with his academics. He had issues at home.</p>

<p>shastarasta: where are you transferring to?</p>

<p>Shastarasta, you believe that University of Miami recruits players with troubled pasts. Yes, this maybe true in some cases.</p>

<p>Please note though that Larry Coker will likely be fired, if another fight breaks out like this again the players involved will be dismissed from the athletic team.</p>

<p>President Shalala handled the fight responsibly, correctly and addressed the issue well.</p>

<p>University of Miami will definitely be a Top 50 school within the next 3 years.</p>

<p>If you think this one fight will keep the school from breaking the Top 50, when all the other previous problems of the football program haven't done anything to the U.S. News rankings, except maybe help the school rise from its rank of 66 just four years ago to 54 today, you are VERY wrong.</p>

<p>Miami has had to deal with similar issues regarding the football program repeatedly in the past, but it has not been affected at all in the rankings. </p>

<p>Your decision to transfer from the school because of that football fight is a terrible reason.</p>

<p>shastarasta, do you live in Hecht? I know a couple of people who strongly share your opinions. Do I already know you?</p>

<p>Shasta... you are comparing apples to oranges. College athletics has no consequence or bearing on the academic qualifications of the college. Financial bearing...yes.. Academic...no. </p>

<p>And while I'm sorry there was a suicide, I would hope that as a young adults, those who need to get help with dealing would be old enough, and mature enough, to seek out help. This isn't high school anymore. No one is going to be there to hold your hand from now on. When you need help or services it will be up to you. No advertising necessary.</p>

<p>man this sucks...
just when I apply EA to this school, I start hearing bad things about it like U of Miami is for kids that don't have the grades to get into U of Florida. Now, I'm from Chicago so the distance doesn't allow me to get a good feel for the school. I have to trust rankings, movies, and seminars.
A substitute in my AP Chem class spent the first 10 minutes of our class talking directly to me about how I shouldn't go to Miami because my grades a very good. Now, I'm not a bookworm (I'm Secretary of NHS and captain of my varsity wrestling team)...so I seek balance in everything I do.</p>

<p>I thought that is what Miami is all about...balance. If anybody has less biased input about Miami, please, please respond. Man...good thing I applied EA and not ED.</p>

<p>Shastarasta notes,"You guys fail to address the main point of my post. Mainly, that UM accepted football players with troubled pasts (getting arrested, etc...). Also, FIU suspended their players for the whole season! and all UM has the guts to do is suspend their players for one game?!?! THATS LAME,"</p>

<p>Response: I should note that University of Maimi punished the players in according with the recommendation of the League! It was the league who recommended one game suspension.</p>

<p>Also, I would say that sports and academics are totally separate animals. The coaches recruit for sports and admission recruits for everyone else. The coaches look for tough, yet talented kids who can play the sport well. Many times they are aware that these kids had some behavior problems in high school. The hope is that by strong training and guidance, they can channel this behavior to being star players and control the bad behavior. Many times this probably is accomplish,but not always.</p>

<p>Be advised that thug-like players do get recruited into many sports and many schools. We have seen problems at not just FIU and Miami but Duke and the Ivys. These types of actions come with big sports in colleges. If you don't like it, don't attend a college with any varsity sports. A good, small LAC would be perfect for you.</p>

<p>Also, I watched the game. I can honestly say that FIU players started the whole mess. Maimi players may have gone along with the bait,but the first hit was started by FIU players.</p>

<p>Finally, I should note that at most schools with varsity sports, and I am familiar with several schools such as Stanford, these athletes are treated as prima-donnas (sp). When you have young kids, treated like they are gods, performing in front of thousands of people and TV, they sometimes let this go to their head. It isn't always nice or fair,but it happens a lot. Again, if you don't like this, you should transfer to a school without any varsity sports. </p>

<p>Frankly, I like having varsity sports in colleges. It adds a lot to the school spirit, provides a ground for a marching band, which is nice for kids who like music but don't want to be professionals and provides a nice change of pace from the study grind.</p>

<p>nvk89: Even though the choice is up to you, I have to say Miami does give good money. Half the kids here are on scholarships. I'm on a 3/4 scholarship (for those with above 1400 SATs and Top5% of highschool) as well as many of my friends. Just on my floor, we have a valedictorian from HS and a salutatorian. Although sometimes I have heard people complaining about the 'intellectual and academic' abilities of the students here, there are plenty of smart kids here. I do have to admit, people do a lot of 'dumb' things (and so have I) that I thought were pretty immature. But, combined with a nice scholarship, I don't think of this as a bad choice.</p>

<p>I have heard many people who are complaining and want to transfer. I'm still debating whether or not I should too (I'm a GT for Cornell), the scholarship is pretty attractive (I cannot get much financial aid).</p>

<p>Yes, a lot of the people here are probably not what you'd expect at, say, Harvard. But this isn't Harvard. It all depends on who you decide to hang with, who you decide to be friends with. If you keep away from those people, you'll have a good time.</p>

<p>People need to get over it. Football players are men. Men get angry and fight. I keep getting emails from President Shalala about the incident and how it is an unacceptable behaviour - combining with other things, I'd say this is far from to 'doing nothing'.</p>

<p>About the suicide, it was in the Hurricanes newspapers.. so I don't see how this is being 'covered up'. The U handled the situation well. They waited to confirm info and etc. instead of rushing into it since the suicide occured off-campus.</p>

<p>You cannot say that they didn't offer any help. I remember a couple of weeks ago, there was a meeting or something for students who think they might be dealing with depression. Only if students really cared about themselves..</p>

<p>Anyway, if you are that shallow, you should transfer. A football fight has that much impact in your academical experience? Why did you come to UMiami in the first place? Why didn't go to HARVARD or PRINCETON.. or any so-called 'perfect' school? Personally, I think UMiami is great. Sure, a lot of people or things will pis* you off constantly (they pis* ME off constantly), but you'll get this everywhere you go. So if you want to survive, try to learn how to handle it.. maturely.</p>

<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami-FIU_brawl%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami-FIU_brawl&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>name one school that hasn't pulled strings and looked the other way to benefit the athletic dept.
this is not abnormal and certainly not scandalous and cannot see why this would tamper with UMiami's reputation as a excellent academic institution.
fighting is a normal( unfortunatly so ) occurance in many sports so i am nearly flabbergasted that this comes as a shock to you.
however you should be able to do whatever you want so the choice is up to you. just bear in mind that the brilliant word 'oaf' will come to mind when i would think of your first post.
cheers</p>

<p>SSobick</p>

<p>Just curious....why did you post that wikapedia link bringing up a negative post from a year ago. Are you trying to call attention away from UF, also known as University of Felons. The football team had 8 arrests in 9 months. Maybe we should pass UF the title of "Thug U". </p>

<p>You said someone accused you of trolling on the UM thread. I wonder why.</p>

<p>I posted because a University of Miami poster is talking alot of smack about UF. He is "Moviebuff" and he also uses the name "Serchingon". Get him to stop posting negative things about UF, and I will never post on the UM board ever again.</p>

<p>I think if someone is so in shock for seeing a fight and badmouthing a university , then that person has significant ajustment problems of his or her own. If for everything we don't like we run away, then problems will not be solved. Youseem yo be running away in this case Shastarasta</p>

<p>Also, if you are looking for a chance to get out for a personal reason and you found a good excuse, then, get out, you don't deserve UM, Shastarasta!</p>

<p>I really truly honestly like this thread;; the U====bad school</p>