Football hotels

<p>I am looking for a hotel for Miss State game weekend. All I see is Rodeway or LaQuinta. Are either of them decent? Greystone is available for Fri/sat only as they don’t let you arrive on Sat, but we might do Sat/Mon to take advantage of that
great SW sale.</p>

<p>I stayed at the LaQuinta for a game weekend before and it was acceptable.</p>

<p>Thanks- I think I’ll book LaQuinta. </p>

<p>Is it safe to fly in by noon Saturday to B’ham for the game. What’s the earliest they would probably have the Miss State game? 2:00?</p>

<p>hmmm It all depends on the tv networks. But since it’s Homecoming UA will probably use it’s one override to make sure it doesn’t get stuck with the 11:30 early game. Arriving at noon might be cutting things close but it’s possible if there are no delays. But remember traffic on gamedays is bad especially coming from B’ham.</p>

<p>Right. We flew in on Sat for parent’s weekend. But it wasn’t a big game & it was at 7 anyway I think.
Hmm always dicey with connections. I don’t want to miss the game while saving $75.</p>

<p>LaQuinta really isn’t that acceptable. The area is sketchy…especially at night.</p>

<p>One of the CC parents booked there for BB, and immediately moved out.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t fly in at noon. by the time you got your rental car, drove an hour to Ttown, found a parking space out in the soccer fields, rode the bus to the stadium…that really cuts things close…and you’d miss all the Quad stuff.</p>

<p>What do we think about Bessemer? We can get a 3.5 star on Hotwire for $85. Maybe we can park in the visitor lot at S’s apt? But agree that coming in Friday would be better. Saturday night might be a long way back to Bessemer though.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>Do you just need one room? Or are any of the older sibs coming, too?</p>

<p>All of McFarland is “sketchy” at night. If you want a hotel in Tuscaloosa for a football weekend you can’t be picky unless you’re willing to pay out the arse. Would the LaQuinta be my first choice if I had my pick of hotels? Certainly not. In fact it wouldn’t be in my top 10 or so. But at this late date for a football weekend, no less homecoming, then I’d book it and would be perfectly happy.</p>

<p>I do have a pre-paid points room at the Fairfield Inn for that weekend so if the LaQuinta is going to cost you more than $400 total for the two nights when you include tax then let me know and I can give you the Fairfield room for $400.</p>

<p>My son and I stayed in the LaQuinta during one of our visits as they were the location that accepted my Priceline bid.</p>

<p>It is really a motel and not a hotel (the rooms open to the outside instead of to the interior of the hotel), which I wasn’t extremely comfortable with.</p>

<p>There is a lot of retail in the area and I believe a couple locations open 24 hours, so while it may be ‘sketchy’ (lots of low cost hotels in the area), at no point did I ever feel it was unsafe.</p>

<p>The morning after our stay, we had a young couple approach us in the parking lot and tell us that they were staying at a different hotel and someone had stolen their money so they had no way to pay their bill and asked us for some cash. They were very polite, so I was polite as well when I told them that if indeed their story was true that they should file a police report and that perhaps with a police report the hotel would be willing to bill them for their expenses, but as their story could just be a scam, I was not going to provide them any money. They told me they understood and went on their way.</p>

<p>I often stay in lower-cost hotels (I LOVE Priceline), so the LaQuinta was acceptible. The staff was pleasant and helpful and if I got a good deal on it, I’d probably stay there again, but I don’t know that I’d recommend it. </p>

<p>My biggest complaint was that they had, I believe, the worst included breakfast that I have ever had at a hotel. I don’t believe they had anything that was even warm, they had a basket of packaged muffins, nothing fresh - no yogurt, no fruit - not even apples and bananas that are pretty standard for hotels and the orange juice was more like orange colored water than fruit juice…I’d skip the breakfast.</p>

<p>Bessemer is not bad, although they are now requiring prepaid, though the rates are not as high. The Residence Inn in Hoover is very nice and a good rate. Big rooms, so very comfortable if you’re bringing siblings.</p>