For Admitted Students: NSC Question

My son acceppted his admission and signed up for the first NSC in June because it works with our schuledule best and because he wanted a better chance at getting the classes he needs. He is taking AP Calc & AP Physics this year and will be testing in May. The results do not come in until July. How will signing up for classes work since both those classes have big implications on what math & physics he needs to take first semester.

Which AP Calc? (AB or BC) Which AP Physics ? (A, B, C:M, C:EM)

Well as a freshman, he will likely be recommended to not test out of calc 1 because Calc 2 is supposedly very difficult and retaking calculus 1 can create a strong foundation for future engineering classes.

AP physics A or B don’t provide the required college credit he’d need. But if he is taking Physics Mech just register for Chem 107/117 for fall. If he doesn’t qualify the exam, take Physics Mech during spring and Physics EM during summer. and if he passes the exam and feels strong, take physics EM during spring.

When I attended this summer in June, my advisor just had me sign up for other classes that fit in my degree plan until I was certain that I’d passed (or failed) those AP exams for credit.

Also, they gradually open up spots for classes throughout the summer for the each different NSC to be fair.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but if I was admitted to the engineering honors program will I sign up for those classes during my NSC?

Yes, you will sign up for honors courses as well as regular courses. There is no advanced sign up for honors programs your first semester, in later semesters you will get early registration to sign up for all courses you select.

You will only be able to sign up for classes you have the proper pre-requisites for. For instance, if your son wants to take Calc 3 (assuming he passes the AP BC Calc Exam) he will have to sign up for that later in the summer after he has taken credit for Calc 1 and 2 using his AP credit. Bottom line: the registration system won’t let you register for classes which pre-requisites you haven’t met.

Gigs - Aggie Chemist