For Spring transfers - what are the odds of getting a dorm with another transfer?

We are concerned that there will be no availability for a dorm due to waiting to find out if accepted or not. What are the odds that they will more than likely have to get an apartment? Just wondering how this would work - we are little anxious. LOL.

@JaceyK A lot of students sublease their place in the Spring due to december graduation. For instance, my daughter will graduate in Dec. She’s living with a freshman and transfer student who is a junior. My D will be moving but because rent is cheaper if you do a full year, she will sublease and pass on those savings. There are many students that do this. Subleasing is easy here. Not sure the dorm situation for Spring. All contracts are a full academic year. You can’t do by the semester if starting in the Fall.

@aggiemomhelp Thank you for your response. I have started to bookmark apartments (campus - those that are mostly catered to A&M students) - my daughter is hoping to room with one of her BFFs who is supposed to be transferring too (as a matter of fact, she was already accepted - just hasn’t made firm decision to transfer (she’s currently going to Baylor)- she’s waiting on the FA letter first). My fear is that this BFF may back out of transferring at the last minute. Too much unknown but I guess first things first - my daughter needs to get accepted first!!!

@jaceyK

Trust me when I say MOST apartment complexes cater to students. We have an abundance… and I do mean an abundance. Let me know if you have questions about any. I have lived here for 30 years and both kids go to TAMU.

@aggiemomhelp would you say it’s cheaper to live in an apartment close to campus (if sharing with at least 2 rooommates)? If I added it up right, it is ~$500-650/month to live in dorms not counting ~$300-400/month for dining. Could one share an apartment for less than say $700/month (utilities and food included)?

The way the apartments work is you rent a room. So say it’s 3 bedroom 3 bath. Each person pays the same amount per room plus utilities. Unlike when we went to school and you just divided by 3 and hoped your roomies paid their portion. Now the contract is just between you and the complex. Roomies are irrelevant. My daughter had a 2/2 last year at Aspen heights. It was 1500 square feet. They didn’t find her a roomie, so she had the whole place to herself and paid as if she had a roomie. Does that make sense.

Dorms are expensive. About $700 plus per month when you break it down not including food. My daughter’s rent is $589 plus utilities around $40. Then food on top of that. I do aggie bucks only and give her an allowance of $400 to cover food, misc and gas.

Yeah, that’s the way I understood it too. So I was right in my estimates on dorms…we shall see how this plays out.

@JaceyK basically college is expensive, lol

No sh$t ($ intended). Really scary - so worried about the debt they will have.

@JaceyK There are apartments that cater to students all over College Station. That said, most of them have year long contracts. These year long contracts, in most cases, are not like regular apartment complexes where your lease is a year from the time you sign. In these contracts, The lease begins August 23, 2018 and ends on August 3, 2019. A limited amount of 5 and 10 installment leases are available each year for an additional monthly premium. His utilities were around $35-60 a month. I think there were just a few months it was high and that was when it was really hot or really cold. Food allowance is $300 a month. He works full time in summer so anything above his rent/utilities/food that is on him unless it is a necessity. Our son paid $615 a month when he signed (with their signing incentives) and in looking at the rents this past year and just now, they have lowered the rent to $564. And it is a just down the street on University, has 3 parking garages that don’t cost extra, and on a bus route.

Sub leasing in a lot of cases, is cheaper than being the original signer. In a lot of cases, to attract a sub leasor, the original signer will still be paying part of the rent. Meaning that if the rent was $600 a month, they will sub lease for $500 a month etc. That way, paying $100 a month for the remainder of the lease can be a heck of a lot cheaper than breaking the lease.

There are different priced apartments all over CStat. Some of those closest for walking distance (Northgate area) can be higher. When you are searching, because parking on campus can be difficult, is finding a complex on a bus route.

If you are looking for the Dorm Experience with meal plan off campus then Look in to Cambridge. It is on the bus route and comes with unlimited food (if you are concerned about your kids eating)