Fordham vs Conn College for International Relations

hey guys

I’m a high school senior who won’t get to visit any colleges due to my family’s finances.

looking at these 2 schools right now, looking to major in international studies/relation and English and become an editor or journalist one day.

I’m gay, middle-low income, Asian student who wants to move to the east coast. These 2 schools really impressed me after my interview with them and talking to their students online.

Which school would you recommend and why? Which school is more prestigious/highly regarded in the New England/NY area? I hope to find a job right after college.

Any info on these 2 college would help immensely thank you so much

You’re going to spend 4 years there day after day. If you can’t visit due to finances, how do you know you’ll get enough aid to afford them?

One is in the city…one isn’t. You need to go visit. If you’re going to stretch to pay for school - and if it’s one of these, you’ll have to - find cheap flights and get out there.

Pedigree wise - it’s not relevant with these two - both great schools. But you need to find the best for you. One has religion (Fordham), one doesn’t…in it’s charter. Also, one is in a mid level athletic conference (Fordham) so you get mid level big time basketball and one isn’t.

You need to go visit.

1 Like

That is silly. A student does not need to visit a school before applying. Lots of people don’t visit schools. The first time I saw the school I attended was when I stepped on campus in August for orientation.

OP: reputation of the schools is about the same but they are very different. Is there a reason you can’t apply to both and then decide after you are accepted?

2 Likes

You are correct - I misread or my mind is off - thinking he’s choosing between them. I was coming from a they are the final two.

You are correct - lots go without seeing - but the investment is so large, it’s worth the trip - that was my point.

But yes, I put the cart b4 the horse. Thanks for the correction.

Now I’m wondering if I misread. Maybe this student is dealing with coming off a waitlist. It’s not clear from the post.

@hapi_daze789 We have had a few exchanges about various LACs in general and Conn in particular. I am starting to get the feeling that you are trying to talk yourself out of Conn, for some reason. You ask about Conn vs Trinity or Whitman and now Fordham as if you are on the hunt for something better, which is fine, but it is also fine to cast a net and see what you end up with. If you can’t decide right now, that is better because you don’t know where you will be accepted.

1 Like

The other thing is - if you can’t afford to visit (now or after acceptance), then how can you afford to go. Fordham does not meet full need.

Hence I asked - If you can’t visit due to finances, how do you know you’ll get enough aid to afford them?

What is your budget? Have you run the net price calculator for every school on your list? Note the NPCs may not be accurate if your parents are divorced, own a business, or own real estate beyond a primary home…are any of those the case for you?

Do you have an affordable safety school? Often times that is an in-state flagship or directional.

I would lean toward Conn College unless you have a strong preference for being in NYC. Both schools have a strong reputation in the NY/New England area.

Conn College is known as a gay friendly campus. For someone with aspirations to be an editor with interests in English and International Studies/Relations, their integrated but personalized approach to liberal arts seems ideally suited and allows you to maintain a lot of control over course selections with the help of a faculty advisor.

2 Likes

Thank you so much all for your reply! :slight_smile:
I asked this question because I decided out of all the colleges that meet 100% need I decided that Conn would be my top choice because I just love this school so much after doing research and interviews alongside with other colleges that meet full need.

I asked about Fordham because it’s the only non LAC I am applying to. I really like that it’s in the city but you can also get a full college experience at it’s Rose Hill Campus and I have friends there who seriously love it. Although the school doesn’t meet full need, they have a scholarship that will cover 100% of the costs and although i know there’s a low chance I am aiming for that as well!

I just asked since these 2 are my top choices now and I wanted a comparison because I can’t visit them and wanted raw and honest opinions on these two because I just left the states to go overseas and I don’t think I can come back to the states before next summer, around June.

Thank you everyone :slight_smile: if anyone else has more info please let me know thank you!

Connecticut College is likely to be more affordable for you if you’re low-middle income. See if you might qualify for a fly-in - email Mily Muniz: Explore · Connecticut College
Indicate you’re considered Conn for ED1 and aren’t able to visit due to finances. An application is likely due soon.

Fordham doesn’t meet need and even its merit scholarships for NMFs don’t cover more than full tuition.