Foreign Language Placement Exam

<p>My S took 4 years of Spanish in High School and did fairly well and wants to continue to study Spanish at UA. He did not take the AP test so he will be taking the placement exam at his BB session next week. Does anyone know how he can earn extra college credits based on his results on the exam? There are a couple of spots on the web site that allude to this but I could not find anywhere it was fully explained. Obviously, we would like him to start out with as many credits as possible so he has more flexibility in his scheduling.</p>

<p>Thanks for any insights.</p>

<p>My understanding of how it can work with FL, is that if he places into lets say the 300 level Spanish class, then once he takes that class he will receive credit for the 2 classes below that class (6 additional hours?), but not until he takes the class that he placed into. I believe that this is what we were considering doing while we were at BB, but D decided not to since she already had so many APs and she gets her FL requirements satisfied through her CBHP computer classes.</p>

<p>*Does anyone know how he can earn extra college credits based on his results on the exam? *</p>

<p>If your son places into 300, then he has to pass a 300 level class…and then the school gives credit for …103, 201, and 201…which is 10 credits.</p>

<p>If a person doesn’t want to take the next level…then he should take the CLEP test and get direct credit that way.</p>

<p>CLEP link for Bama credits…
[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>CLEP is part of Collegeboard</p>