Foreign Language Placement Help

<p>I am currently in AP Spanish 4 in my high school, and I am not taking the AP or CLEP exam. (But, I have received 4s on the AP practice exams we have to take in class.) I plan to take Spanish in college because I love the language. Does anyone have a rough idea of what level Spanish those of us who have taken 4 years in high school might be placed into?</p>

<p>It looks like since you are not taking the AP or CLEP exams (why not at least take the CLEP?) you would take the assessment exam and more than likely place into a higher level Spanish after which passing you get credit for the lower level classes.</p>

<p>Hopefully SEA_tide will post to give you more info </p>

<p>[Foreign</a> Language Assessment](<a href=“Testing Services – University of Alabama Testing Services | The University of Alabama”>Testing Services – University of Alabama Testing Services | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Course Placement:
In Foreign Languages
The course level at which students begin their study of a foreign language is determined by several factors. These factors include the following: the number of high-school units complete; language placement examination scores; or, for those with native or heritage competency, faculty evaluation. Placement testing is offered in French, German, Latin, Russian, and Spanish.</p>

<p>Level Placement Criteria
101 No prior instruction in the language, fewer than two high-school units in the language, instruction more than four years ago, or UA placement test
102 UA credit for 101 or, except for Spanish, UA placement test
103* Two high-school units in the language or 101 at another institution
201 Credit for 102 or 103 or UA placement test
202 Credit for 202 or UA placement test </p>

<p>*Available in French, German, and Spanish. </p>

<p>When students are placed in French, German, Latin, Spanish, and Russian courses numbered 200 or higher and they successfully complete the course into which they were placed, they can apply to the Department of Modern Languages and Classics to receive credits for some courses that precede the course into which they were placed.</p>

<p>International students who possess native competency in a language or United States citizens who are bilingual are placed individually by members of the language faculty. These students normally do not receive credit for courses below the 300 level. These students should contact the Department of Modern Languages and Classics before attending summer orientation or before registering for a course in the language in which they have this competency.</p>

<p>Why aren’t you taking CLEP or the AP exam.</p>

<p>I’m guessing that you’ll be placed into 3XX. That means that once you pass a 3XX class, then Bama will award “back credit” of Spanish 103, 201, and 202.</p>

<p>I think you should take CLEP. If you score the highest, you’re given 14 credits. That’s a better deal!! Then you could take a 3XX class and maybe even get a minor or double major.</p>

<p>DD took Ap Spanish Lit last year (Jr year). The AP Exam was brutal! She’s been out of Spanish for a year now :frowning: but she’s taking CLEP before she gets to campus.</p>

<p>For a Frosh, I’m thinking that 3XX level courses will be very difficult. I’m speaking to DD only situation. Thoughts? Even if she test into a 3XX, I think that I will discourage her from starting at that level.</p>

<p>Same for French…</p>

<p>It depends on how strong she is in the language. My older son didn’t have a native-speaking teacher in high school, so he felt that he needed to start with 103 to improve.</p>

<p>Younger son had a native speaker in high school and was better prepared, so he went to 3XX. </p>

<p>The Spanish profs at Bama are very good. Many/most are native speakers.</p>

<p>i was going to add that her teacher is Cuban. She didn’t cut them any slack and DD couldn’t stomach the thought of dealing with her for her whole senior year (for AP Spanish Lang).
I know that it’s difficult to gauge their fluency and knowledge. It will be interesting to see what she chooses to do.
I browsed a few FL courses. Some are 4 credits and meet everyday. That sounds intense.</p>

<p>A student isn’t obligated to enroll in the highest FL class that they qualify for. If they feel they need a refresher, they can do 103, or 201 or 202.</p>

<p>My son took four years of high school Spanish. Did not have the language his senior year, but he still placed into Spanish 201 without any problem. He regrets that he did not take the CLEP, so he is encouraging his brother, who is taking his fourth year of Spanish this spring and is just a HS sophomore, to do so. </p>

<p>I want to add that if you continue to be interested in Spanish and are in the honors college, you may want to consider doing Alabama Action Abroad next spring. The class will travel to Costa Rica/Ecuador for s service project. My older son visited Costa Rica twice and loved it.</p>

<p>Is there a benefit in taking the CLEP if a student does not plan to take the language at UA?</p>

<p>Is there a benefit? Yes! FL requirement would be complete if scores qualify! </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>No downfall that I can see.</p>

<p>Your child would then be free to take another FL if desired. My kids took Italian for fun (the Italian profs are very good, too!)</p>

<p>My younger son is doing the Costa Rica trip next month. He’s really looking forward to it. He’s going to be doing something medically-related there…he’s taking his scrubs and stethoscope.</p>

<p>Sorry, should have been more clear. My S already has had 4 years of HS Spanish. If he takes the CLEP but does not take Spanish at UA, is there a benefit to taking the test? Currently, there are no plans to take any foreign language at UA.</p>

<p>Yes. He’ll get credits and fulfill his FL requirement if he does well enough. And unlike with the placement test, there’s no need to take Spanish at UA to get the credits.</p>

<p>Yes, he should take the CLEP. It can be beneficial for certain jobs to have FL credits on the transcript.</p>

<p>If you’re child is in eng’g and doesn’t need any FL credits, they can still fulfill Humanities Core and they’ll always be on the transcript if for some other reason they are desired. What is your child changes majors or adds a second major in A&S? Or wants to go to med school?</p>

<p>OK, I’m convinced. There goes another $97. It’s only $, right?</p>

<p>lol…</p>

<p>Yes, but it’s $97 well spent. It’s cheaper than the books if he ever had to take a FL class! FL books are EXPENSIVE!!</p>

<p>He might as well do it while it’s still fresh in his head!</p>

<p>Maybe I will take the CLEP then; it’s worth a shot. Do you have to take foreign language to study abroad?</p>

<p>No, you do not have to take a FL to study abroad.</p>

<p>Foreign language is required for med school?</p>

<p>There’s really no downside to taking a foreign language CLEP as UA will grant you credit for it without having to take another foreign language class. I took 5 years of French, 3 of which were with a native speaker, and was able to test into FR 3XX. While I haven’t taken another French course at UA, it has still proven to be very useful in my other courses. I highly encourage incoming students to take the CLEP in whatever foreign language(s) they took in high school.</p>

<p>Sniner…</p>

<p>Right now, FLs are not req’d for med school, however, being bi-linqual or have some fluency in another language is a plus for med school admissions.</p>

<p>That said, the MCAT and SOM req’ts are changing to include more humanities so it’s a plus to have FL classes.</p>