Foreign language requirement

<p>From looking at past threads, it looks like a student can come in with either AP credit or placement credit in a foreign language and then just have to take one additional course. But if that student takes the CLEP exam and scores a certain score (not sure what this would be), they would place out of the foreign language requirement. Is this correct? Thanks.</p>

<p>CLEP credits and AP credits don’t require taking extra classes, if the credits are enough to satisfy req’ts. So, if you come in with 8 AP or CLEP FL credits, you’re good.</p>

<p>You have to take the additional class when you “place” into a higher class, then you take the class and after you pass, you get the other lower credits. </p>

<p>So, if you take the Spanish placement test, and you test into 3XX level. Then you take a 3XX class, pass, and then are given credits for 103, 201, and 202.</p>

<p>When do they take the placement exam for Foreign Lang? The website directs Math Placement and Bama Bound says they need it, but doesn’t say when it is administered or how they should do it on their own. Please Advise.</p>

<p>Remember to schedule your CLEP language tests soon, before you get rusty with the language. Don’t wait, in other words, until August. You get the results back on the spot. For Spanish, my S said this was one of the most challenging tests he had ever taken, because of the aural/listening parts. You listen to them speak, and you then answer questions, but the multi-choice answer choices are also aural (not written), so you have to listen to everything very carefully. You are not able to rewind and relisten to the questions. The AP test might be ‘easier’ in that regard, since it is entirely written, right? Still, with only 3 yrs of Spanish in HS, my son scored well enough to earn all 14 FL credits at UA by taking CLEP.</p>

<p>@ Burry
Business majors are NOT required to take any foreign language or take the placement exam…that said if you can get your daughter to take the CLEP exam she could earn enough credit to cover her humanities. </p>

<p>Business majors are required to take 12 hours of HU and FA…3 HAVE TO BE Literature (EN 205-210 or the Honors equivalent), 3 hours HAVE TO BE Fine Arts…but the other 6 can be from either HU or FA…CLEP language could get her these 6 credits…</p>

<p>Business majors are required to take EITHER a Foreign Language or a Computer Language (a “C” course and ST 260 which is required for all Business Majors is a “C” course…)</p>

<p>Foreign Language or Computer Language: Two semesters (6-8 hours) of foreign language credit (designated FL) or two semesters of C-designated computer language courses (6 hours). This requirement will be satisfied by completing ST 260 Statisticl Data Analysis and one additional C-designated course; some majors require a specific course to complete this requirement. </p>

<p>All Finance majors must also take an upper level “C” course (see link for class options) so she will by default already have completed the Computer language sequence by taking the required courses for a Finance major…</p>

<p>[Department</a> of Economics, Finance and Legal Studies < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/commercebusinessadministration/econfinancelegal/#majorfinancetext]Department”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/commercebusinessadministration/econfinancelegal/#majorfinancetext)</p>

<p>I couldn’t convince my son to sit for the CLEP as he had finished his Spanish 4 class 2 years earlier…so he had to take 2 Humanities classes at UA…</p>

<p>Thank you, thank you…this makes sense. I am kind of unfamiliar with the CLEP – do you just go to a center to take it or is it given at a certain time like the SAT subject tests? Oh, the AP tests do have a listening component so maybe there would be some overlap. I think you can only bring in 4 credits, though, with Spanish language. </p>

<p>After using AP or CLEP credits for requirements, can you use the additonal ones towards the degree requirements in general?</p>

<p>The CLEP tests aren’t given on a particular day like the SAT subject tests, but you can’t just walk into most centers and take the CLEP test, either. My D took the Spanish CLEP at our local community college, and she did call ahead and make an appointment. There were many times available (or would have been if she hadn’t waited until the week before she left for Alabama in August to take it - I wouldn’t advise her approach!). </p>

<p>My D got 14 credits from the CLEP Spanish exam. She didn’t need foreign language credits, since she’s a business major and would satisfy the FL/C requirement with required “C” courses in the business school, but she was able to use 6 of the credits toward her humanities requirement. The rest are elective credits that she didn’t need and can’t really apply toward her degree, but they’re still credits for purposes of registration priority, class standing for housing selection and the like, so they’re good to have. Also, if D ends up studying abroad enough to complete the requirements of the International Honors Program, she has the foreign language requirement for that satisfied.</p>

<p>Thanks again…it sounds worth taking. Can you apply elective credits towards your degree?</p>