Foreign Language requirement?

<p>Could someone please explain the foreign language requirement for Letters & Science?
The site says you must have 4th level language for B.A.
Does this mean that if you took language for 4 years in HS, you are exempt? Or do you need to take 4 semesters of language at UW?
Thank you!</p>

<p>You must have attained a 4th level language in high school.</p>

<p>Ok thanks... one more question...
Do you need to take a placement test to verify this? Or are placement tests just if you wish to continue the language?</p>

<p>No, if you have already met the requirements in High School, you're done (unless your major has a higher foreign language requirement).</p>

<p>If you want to receive retroactive credit for the language classes you've already taken, you take the Foreign Language Exam at SOAR. I believe once you take the test, you must complete whatever language course you placed into and you'll receive retroactive credit. </p>

<p>I personally am taking the foreign language exam depite having met (actually exceeded) the requirements with my high school classes just to keep my options open.</p>

<p>What about for starting a new language. Do you take a placement exam for that even though you have no prior knowledge or studies in that language?</p>

<p>Not sure about that...Unless someone else on the forums knows, I'd contact someone involved with SOAR to be sure.</p>

<p><a href="mailto:SOARinfo@das.wisc.edu">SOARinfo@das.wisc.edu</a></p>

<p>guapocarlos....I don't think you would. A friend of mine took the spanish placement test after 3 years and she didnt know much. I took the German b/c I've been speaking it my whole life but the point of the placement test is to place you in your skill level, so if you have no prior experience....</p>