Foreign Language Requirements?

<p>If I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, will I have to take any at UM? I am kind of confused in how this works.</p>

<p>What’s your anticipated major?</p>

<p>I don’t know what language to take in high school</p>

<p>Is taking 2 years of latin in middle school then one year of latin in high school good enough for the language requirement (the high school requirement, not the one for the university)</p>

<p>Rankin, I believe he’s going to be a Marine Biology major!!</p>

<p>Ok, well, according to [Course</a> Requirements | The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science at the University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/g/meteorology/undergraduate/course-requirements]Course”>http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/g/meteorology/undergraduate/course-requirements) the RSMAS has the same general education requirements as A&S, which is: </p>

<p>"Students must earn at least 3 credits of a language other than English at the 200 course level or higher. Special 100- and 200-level Spanish courses are required of heritage Spanish speakers who choose to fulfill the language requirement by taking Spanish. Students may fulfill the language requirement from the following: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese and Spanish. "</p>

<p>So, depending on how proficient you are in a language, it can take one semester to three semesters.</p>

<p>I think two years of a high school foreign language are required, and 3 are recommended.</p>

<p>Rankinr- My major is probably going to be Computer Science. I’m confused by all this “200 level or higher” stuff, and I don’t really understand if high school classes count towards this req? For example, Pitt says that if you took atleast 3 years in high school, you don’t have to take any in college. Any idea what this is like at Miami?</p>

<p>No, high school classes will not count for credit, unless you took the AP exam. When you register for classes, in the course description it will recommend which class you should take based on your experience (3 years would put you in 211, which would fulfill the language requirement). Then, on the first day of class, the professor will interview you in the relevant language and recommend that you either stay in the course, drop down a level, or move forward a level, depending upon how you do.</p>

<p>CS is also in A&S, so you’ll have the same language requirement as in RSMAS.</p>

<p>Does Miami offer Hindi classes??</p>