Foreign language requirements

I see the foreign language requirement at UC as:

Minimum Foreign Language Eligibility Requirement for Entering a Four-Year College (UC and CSU): Two years required, three years recommended, of the same language with a grade of “C” or higher.

My son has done Spanish 1 in 8th grade (middle school), and Spanish 2 in 9th grade. Does he meet the UC & CSU requirement now?

His intended major would be mostly engineering. Should he go for Spanish 3 in 10th?

Language is not his forte, and he is getting B grade in 9th in both English & Spanish. Not sure whether he should continue with Spanish 3, or take a subject that he likes better.

Also I am not sure how would Private univs & OOS schools would assess his transcript! Any thoughts?

Level 2 validates level 1 for UC and CSU, so he meets the minimum requirement, but not the recommended level 3. At more competitive UCs, a higher level may look more favorable to an admission reader, and CPSLO gives bonus points for additional foreign language beyond the minimum.

Other colleges may have higher requirements or recommendations. More competitive for admission colleges are likely to have higher requirements and recommendations.

Especially if he decides to do something other than engineering, he may find that many colleges have foreign language graduation requirements, where a higher level in high school may reduce the number of courses needed to complete them.

6 Likes