Four classes back-to-back?

<p>We have a spreadsheet schedule set up too - I don’t know how you could do this without it! (I used to sketch it out on a piece of paper pre-computers LOL).</p>

<p>When do you guys think they will start listing the locations of the classes? Don’t the upperclassmen register this coming week? Do locations stay TBA through registration or do you usually know the locations when you are registering?</p>

<p>I don’t think many classes list the location until after registration has been open for a while, actually. One of my S’s classes stayed “TBA” for a long, long time, and was only announced about 2 weeks prior to start of classes. Yet another of S’s class changed its location the day before classes started (to a completely different building!). So, the bottom line about when locations are listed: “it depends”. </p>

<p>Sometimes the location is dependent on who large the class is and who ultimately signs up. Others are taught in the same spot year after year after year after year. You can always check prior semester’s course lists to get a feel for which building (or general area of campus) the class has been taught in before.</p>

<p>I’m also looking at doing four back to backs MWF. TH 220 to PSC 205 to TH 120 to BSC 108. </p>

<p>I’ll have to look at this again when locations are announced, but I think I can grab a decent breakfast before TH 220 at 9 (I’m a naturally early riser) and I’ll keep a snack for between classes if I need it - I can lunch at 1 after BSC 108. I think it just depends on careful timing with food and not overloading on upper level sciences/maths, etc.</p>

<p>It’s hard to tell whether the interactive map is to scale - it honestly doesn’t look like anything is all that far apart, but I know maps can be deceiving that way. He is basically going to need to get between SERC/PATY/Houser (CS and ENGR), Gordon Palmer Hall for math, and probably Rowand Johnson or Morgan Hall for English. The map makes it seem like none of those are all that far from each other…are they?</p>

<p>Lisa…</p>

<p>Are you using this map?</p>

<p>[Full</a> Campus Map - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Keep in mind that these bldgs are quite large so even walking by a few of them takes a couple of minutes. </p>

<p>And if you walk across the Quad, that takes a few minutes. I think SEA_Tide timed it one time…don’t remember what the result was.</p>

<p>*It’s hard to tell whether the interactive map is to scale - it honestly doesn’t look like anything is all that far apart, but I know maps can be deceiving that way.</p>

<p>He is basically going to need to get between SERC/PATY/Houser (CS and ENGR), Gordon Palmer Hall for math, and probably Rowand Johnson or Morgan Hall for English. The map makes it seem like none of those are all that far from each other…are they?
*</p>

<p>SERC and Houser are close. Gordon Palmer is further south. I think the English classes on the other side of the quad…I’ll have to look up those bldgs. Morgan Hall, I think, is a yellow brick bldg at the NW corner of the Quad.</p>

<p>That is another thing to think about - because staying after class to clarify things and get to know the professors cannot be underestimated. If you are always rushing off to your next class, you are unable to do this.</p>

<p>Excellent point.</p>

<p>It’s also a good idea to have space after a lab class. Sometimes you’re not quite done with clean-up when class ends.</p>

<p>Both the interactive and the full campus maps are to scale, but the problem is there is no “scale” written on them, so you don’t know how far things truly are! If you use Google Maps (or similar), and zoom in far enough, you will be able to see that the Quad is about 300 x 250 meters. 1 block on the map can be comparable to almost a full city block sometimes. Yes, buildings are large. NO one has problems getting across campus, but you do need to hustle if you have back-to-backs. Helps with keeping the pounds off.</p>

<p>Just looked up fall 2013 schedule for son’s final year. Four required classes he must take next semester.</p>

<p>The four classes are held only on Tuesday and Thursday, and run back to back, so son will be in class from 8 AM to 145 PM on those two days. There is only one section of each class.</p>

<p>He is lacking one honors course and one humanities course, and he finally found one he’s interested in and does not have a time conflict with his required classes. What day is it on? You guessed it-Tuesday. It’s a three hour class, one day a week. Good news is, it doesn’t start until 3PM, so he’ll have time to eat from 145 to 3 PM. No doubt it will be on the other side of campus, too, though no telling.</p>

<p>He’ll have two three hour labs a week, and he will hopefully be able to schedule those on Monday and Wednesday, and they’ll be held in the afternoon, so at least he’ll get to sleep in, do homework on Monday and Wednesday morning.</p>

<p>And, lo and behold, he will not have class on Friday! </p>

<p>Son will only be taking 15 credits next semester, his lowest of all semesters.</p>

<p>His friends are taking an engineering elective that he’s not interested in, and he says, Never again, to 18 hours. This year has been a killer.</p>