Four short questions

<p>Hi!</p>

<p>I have four questions- </p>

<p>First, do I need to take the TOEFL Exam if I have been living in the US for 4 years (I am a US permanent resident)? </p>

<p>Will it be possible to submit SAT scores from the Dec 1th test date? </p>

<p>Also, for the personal statement section I have written two essays for the two required prompts - one was 550 words and the other 600. Since the total (1150) exceeds the statement’s word limit (1000), the system does not allow me to submit the essays as they are. Is there a way in which I can still submit the essays as they are or is it a lost battle? </p>

<p>Finally. I have been working closely with a professor and I think that the professor’s recommendation can really boost my application; if I send this recommendation (via mail or fax) will it be considered for admission purposes (I know that the UC system does not require recommendations) ? </p>

<p>Thank you. </p>

<p>George.</p>

<p>TOEFL - it depends on your school’s “language of instruction.” If you have been attending a high school in the U.S. in the last 4 years and completed the required 4 years of college prep English, then you do not need TOEFL.</p>

<p>SAT - yes, the UCs will accept the December score provided that it arrives before the end of December (put a UC campus as the score recipient on your test registration to ensure the score report arrives on time).</p>

<p>Personal Statement - accept defeat and trim the essays back to 1,000 words or under.</p>

<p>Recommendation - UCs do not review recommendations. The applications are distributed online to readers so your recommendation letter will sit on someone’s desk until it falls into the trash can.</p>

<p>Yeah, because there are so many applicants, the admission officers really do not have enough time to read recs.</p>