Fraternities

<p>Right on, I think you are right. </p>

<p>This may be my issue, but statements like "All greek organizations require academic excellence" cause my bull pucky detector to go off. Do new members get a Sham Wow too?</p>

<p>Again, stooge, the guy gave an objective and easily verifiable response: all sororities require a 3.0. If he's wrong about that, then someone should tell him so.</p>

<p>3.0 doesn't objectively or easily verify greek org's "...require academic excellence."</p>

<p>Wis75 does not countenance other opinions very well. Private dorms bad. Greeks bad. Not studying 24/7 bad. Anyone who disagrees with that---very bad.</p>

<p>I have my moments too! :)</p>

<p>Stooge, again, I hear you. But a little puffery isn't going to kill anyone. If a 3.0 is indeed required, then that's much higher than what the university as a whole requires and you can't argue with it. As I write this I'm thinking of a friend's son who is not much of a student (he's not at UW) who recently joined a fraternity and loves it. His mother is pleased because it has a minimum GPA requirement; she figures as long as he loves the fraternity he'll be motivated to get his work done. </p>

<p>My broader point is live and let live.</p>

<p>Son is a current student. 88-92% of students not involved with Greek life per a poster's stats. Some schools have a heavy Greek presence and that matters for those not in the system. One might think Greek life is a major part of the college experience- it depends on the school. I often try to counter viewpoints given by the atypical, small number of UW students who bother to post on CC. I do not want the casual viewer to only see one view- like the blind men and the elephant there are many contradictory views when just one aspect is considered. Future students- do not enter with preconceived ideas of what college life should be at UW. Every student's experience will be different, there is plenty of room for totally opposite viewpoints. Use the disagreements here to think outside your box- think outside your comfort zone. Note I question, tell students to consider the other view before being set on an idea. Find the "sifting and winnowing" plaque when on campus. It is surprising how many things have not changed over the years- I have seen the campus recently and read the website. Alumni/parents can sometimes see a bigger picture than students involved in their small part of the campus.</p>

<p>I reread my most recent post- people do not read what is written. Absolutes such as "consider", hmmm.</p>

<p>Wis75, with all due respect, you are being disingenuous. You're not a fan of the Greek system and you made the point loud and clear in your post. </p>

<p>And what's this about speaking on behalf of the "typical" UW student who doesn't post on this board? The typical parent of current students doesn't post here either, which by your logic would make your own student atypical. The fact is, with 30,000 undergraduates it's hard to paint anyone at UW as typical or atypical. Everyone's different and everyone deserves to be treated respectfully -- including Greek students. Dismissing Greeks as "important to them" but "ignored by everyone else" is, well, just not very nice and not very open-minded. Would you say the same thing about, say, the honors program? Certainly the same sentence would seem to apply.</p>

<p>Greek system threads seem to cause fireworks throughout the CC site. People have strong opinions. </p>

<p>I'm wondering if current students feel this way or are we in an echo chamber..?</p>

<p>I actually don't have a strong opinion about fraternities or sororities. I couldn't care either way. But I have a problem with stereotyping.</p>

<p>(Thread was somewhat helpful)</p>

<p>One thing, you'll be in for some good debates about just about any topic at UW. Many different backgrounds and viewpoints.</p>