Fraternity? Help!

<p>My S knows no one - we’re from Jacksonville, Fl. He wants to join a fraternity but heard it’s already done by the time he gets there this Sunday! Any advice? He sent out emails to a few of the rush chairs and registered online… THANKS!</p>

<p>He should include in the emails his arrival day and that he’d like to meet them.</p>

<p>some will already be full, others will not. does he have any fraternity connections? he needs to use any connections he has to get a foot in the door.</p>

<p>Do you mean current students at UA or adults who were in a fraternity? We have friends who were in a fraternity but don’t know any current students…</p>

<p>My S didn’t look into it until he got on campus FR year & he had a couple of option. We are way OOS, & he knew no one.</p>

<p>My son has been meeting all week with different frats since he arrived on campus last thurs night. He said many of the frats are still actively looking for guys. He has 3 bids already but is still considering which one to choose. he thinks he knows but is waiting until the rest of his roommates arrive who also are looking to pledge. My son didn’t know anyone either.</p>

<p>Do you think this will still go on after Sunday? We couldn’t move in until late on Sunday! Any suggestions on how to connect with them to find out about the parties?
Thanks,</p>

<p>Did he join one?</p>

<p>I’ll be following this thread closely! Katorres, we are in the same boat. S is from South Florida, knows a couple of kids from our home town going to UA but knows nothing about fraternities. He also moves in on Sunday. He has gone to the UA fraternity website and entered his information (did this a couple of months ago), but as far as actually knowing anyone in a fraternity or even which one will suit him…nothing. We packed a sports coat, tie and some dress pants for him just in case, and will let him do the footwork once he gets there!</p>

<p>There is an event on Monday (part of WOW), but I’m not sure how many fraternities participate. </p>

<p>IFC’s Greek Welcome Festival
Interfraternity Council, Greek Affairs
Time: 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
This is a chance for new students to meet UA’s IFC Fraternity leaders and the UA community! Enjoy a cookout, live band, cornhole tournament, and learn about the different IFC fraternities on campus. This event will allow men who are interested in joining IFC fraternities, or simply those interested in learning about UA’s Greek community, a chance to interact with representatives from different groups as well as other men that are going through the recruitment process.
Bus Route: Gold</p>

<p>My son used to be the recruiting director for his fraternity, which is open to new members. PM me and we’ll put your son(s) in touch with the right person, if you’re interested.</p>

<p>FWIW, my son came to UA from Hawaii, knew nobody, was dead set against fraternities, and pledged his fraternity his first semester at 'Bama.</p>

<p>Roll Tide. :)</p>

<p>My son served as the chapter president for his fraternity. If you send me a PM, I’ll pass it along to him. He knows who is handling recruitment for his fraternity.</p>

<p>Like your son, my son also was OOS. He hails from Virginia, and he knew no one when he got to Bama. He also did not want to join a fraternity, but changed his mind during his sophomore year. His fraternity even sent him to Greece for two weeks – all expense paid.</p>

<p>Here’s what you need to do. Go to this site [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.alabamaifc.com/fraternities.html]Fraternities[/url”&gt;http://www.alabamaifc.com/fraternities.html]Fraternities[/url</a>]. You can find the email and phone number for the rush chair associated with each fraternity. Contact them NOW. If they have any spots, they will arrange to meet with you when you get to campus.</p>