Fraternity question

<p>I have heard the the term “new Row” and “old row” when describing frats on this board. What does that mean?</p>

<p>NJPEEPS…</p>

<p>If you wikipedia you can get a acurate explanation of Old Row. Basically they are the fraternities that were established in the 1800s at UA. </p>

<p>But also know that there are 29 fraternities at UA. Each house has its own personality.
Also that personality may not be the same as it was 10 or even 4 years ago. Because membership changes!</p>

<p>When you go to Bama Bound it is my understanding that you are welcome to visit all houses. Its all very casual…</p>

<p>Old Row refers to a couple of other things
It is, physically, the fraternity houses that are on University Boulevard next to and across the street from the stadium. Some of those houses are brand-new, but that area is the “old” place where the fraternities had their houses.
New row refers to the houses on the other end of campus, most built after 1960.
Old Row previous referred strictly to fraternities, not sororities.</p>

<p>Old Row also refers to an informal, unofficial, subrosa organization of fraternities and sororities that pay into a fund that sponsors a couple of unofficial parties to which all the member organizations are invited. There are T shirts for Old Row. There is snob appeal to Old Row. But that’s about it.</p>

<p>it means they are extremely selective of who they give bids to…</p>

<p>I talked to a freshman who is part of a new fraternity on campus, and he explained to me quite bluntly that Old Row fraternities are looking for a very specific kind of new members… namely white, Alabaman guys, and that New Row fraternities are more likely to disregard race, religion, roots, etc.</p>

<p>Old Row is comprised of the older (by date of founding at UA) fraternities. It is sponsored in part by Anheuser-Busch InBev, which explains in part why many Old Row t-shirts include designs that are very similar to those used on the company’s products and possibly why the beer available at Old Row fraternity and sorority events is manufactured by that company. IIRC, there are a couple fraternities that would be part of the Old Row, but their national charter does not permit sponsorship by alcohol companies and thus membership in the Old Row.</p>

<p>tommy, there are a couple of Old Row fraternities which traditionally have more exclusive membership criteria, but most have members from throughout the country.</p>

<p>So…is it safe to say if Im from out of state (NJ) and i rush i will be more accepted in “New” row houses?</p>

<p>Look at the houses then decide!</p>

<p>There are lots of great chapters in both new and old row. And just because something is Old Row does not mean they are better. Chapters change with every pledge class.</p>

<p>When you rush look more closely at who you are pledging with. That is the group all your memories will be be with! If you choose to go greek enjoy! If not enjoy! Roll tide!</p>

<p>I know of brothers in Old Row fraternity houses who are from NJ and many other “Northern” states, so that shouldn’t be an issue.</p>

<p>My best advice would to be open to joining each and every fraternity and see which would be the best fit for you. If the feeling is mutual between you, the brothers, and the other pledges, that is wonderful. If you decide not to pledge, that is wonderful also. Roll Tide!</p>