Fraternity questions

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>I’m trying to plan another trip to Bama so that my son can get one more look at the campus and meet with an academic adviser in his major. He LOVES UA but just can’t get over his fear of not getting a bid in a fraternity because he’s a Northerner. That’s the only thing that is holding him back from being fully committed to the university. So, my questions are…</p>

<p>Is there any way to set up an overnight visit with a fraternity or with a freshman pledge who lives in a dorm but can take him out to meet people in the Greek system? </p>

<p>Does anyone know if the dates for Greek Preview 2012 have been set? Last year the preview took place over our spring break. If they take place the same weekend in 2012 it will be over our spring break again so he won’t be able to attend as I’ve already booked our flights for his senior trip. </p>

<p>If he can’t attend GP are there any other options for him to visit the houses and members before they start giving out bids over the summer? </p>

<p>Thanks for you help, you all are the best.</p>

<p>lovemykids2,</p>

<p>Please tell your son not to worry. I’m no expert on this, but I believe he’ll have opportunities. NJBama may want to weigh in on this because he seems to have a lot of expertise regarding fraternity dynamics at UA.</p>

<p>My son is a sophomore from Hawaii who joined a fraternity last year. The president of his fraternity is from Alabama, is a member of the SGA, and couldn’t be more different politically from my son. That said, they are great friends.</p>

<p>PM me if you wish and I’d be happy to facilitate a connection with my son to see if he can help you with any intros or orientation during your visit.</p>

<p>Malanai, thank you for your quick reply. I keep telling him that he’ll find his place in one of the many wonderful houses at UA. But, he needs to see for himself because he doesn’t think that I have a clue. :)</p>

<p>NJBama has been very helpful and has already given me some information. He’s great.</p>

<p>I’ll send you a PM regarding your son.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>We are from the North. My Freshman son did NOT attend Greek Preview. In fact, he waited until two weeks before he left in August to fill out the online Greek Rush form. </p>

<p>He managed to get three bids with very little effort. I’m sure he would have gotten more if he had made an effort to visit more Houses. </p>

<p>For what it is worth, most of my son’s Pledge class of 25+ guys are from out of state. In fact, I think there are only 2 or 3 from AL. </p>

<p>I would contact someone from the Inter Fraternity Council to request a tour of some of the houses on your next trip to campus. Otherwise, send an email to a number of Fraternities (I think you can find them on their home pages). You may also check Facebook. I know my son’s Fraternity has a Facebook page. </p>

<p>I am visiting campus this weekend. I will visit my son’s Fraternity House for the first time. Send me a Private Message with your son’s contact information. I can hand deliver it to an Active. Also feel free to provide me with a few of your son’s questions and concerns. What is he looking for in a Fraternity? What are some of his dislikes, as well.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input momof3boyz, I appreciate it. </p>

<p>I’ll pass along your advise to my son. I’ve been trying to plan a visit for next weekend. Believe it or not, I could get a reservation at the Fairfield Inn but the flights were over $500! I refuse to pay that much for a flight that takes less than two hours. </p>

<p>I’ll send you a PM.</p>

<p>It’s really not hard at all to get a bid. The best thing to do is get the list of rush chairs and have your son e-mail them. I got a pretty good response rate, and then the smaller fraternities typically contact the potential rushes first from the list of people that joined recruitment. A lot of fraternities are really trying to expand as quickly as possible and give out bids pretty frequently. Big fraternities and/or old row (DKE, SAE, Pike, PhiGam, Beta, etc etc) will be a lot harder to get in, and some of them impossible unless you’re a legacy. But most are very easy. I flew down twice last summer to spend time with some of them, but my roommate is from Minnesota and he got a couple bids strictly from going to rush events the first couple weeks of school.</p>

<p>houshyapoppa, thank you! </p>

<p>My son is feeling more relaxed after reading the responses on this thread. he will contact rush chairs and fill out the rush interest form. We’re going to head to the Chicago area alumni sports bar to watch a game soon. I’m sure he’ll meet many alumni who where in fraternities who can provide recs for him.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone!!!</p>

<p>No problem- if he has any other questions at all, he can email me <a href=“mailto:jmthompson5@crimson.ua.edu”>jmthompson5@crimson.ua.edu</a> or PM on here or thread or whatever. I had to drop my fraternity due to finances but I know a good bit about greek life here. Roll Tide!</p>