Fraternity questions

<p>Hi I have a couple questions about my son. He is going to be a freshman next year and really wants to rush. He is insisting he knows what he has to do, but i just want to know so he doesn’t screw something up and not get a bid. First off, does he have to do the online thing on UA’s website? And if he goes to a BamaBound date will he have the chance to see some of the fraternities? Second, when is rush? I know for sororities you have to go a couple weeks earlier than normal but is it the same for guys? Lastly, what will he have to wear to rush? Is it all in one night or is it a ling process? And what should we do about letters of recommendation and such. Thanks</p>

<p>My DD is in a sorority but her boyfriend is in a fraternity. What I know is yes…he needs to to do the online registration on the Greek life IFC section.That lets the fraternities know you are interested.
I also know that if you go to many of the fraternity websites that they have up a place where you can let them know you are interested in rushing.<br>
I do not know whether he will be able to see in any of the houses or meet with members during Bama Bound dates. Summertime is when a lot of “work” is done but I do know that most fraternities will have rush events during the summer.<br>
Rush generally doesn’t have a specific start and finish. It’s different than the organized sorority recruitment in August. During Preview Weekend (March 23-25) there will an information session for young men interested in going through Rush. I believe at that time they are able to visit all the fraternity houses. Many of the fraternities will have band parties that weekend and guys who are interested in rushing will be in attendance.
Is your son a legacy to any of the houses on campus or do you know anyone who has a connection. If so then they can contact the particular house and let them know that he is interested. That may help get an invitation to a rush event. I am not sure about letters of recommendation …that’s a question for Greek Life.
Guys usually wear regular clothes for rush, collared polos, khaki shorts, pfg shirts and shorts, southern tide shirts, vineyard vines. I would suggest you go to The Locker Room and The Shirt Shop when you are in town for Bama Bound. Lots of fraternity guys shop at both.
As far as pledge clothes go each fraternity will tell their pledges what items they need. Generally they need a suit, a couple of nay blue blazers, dress shirts, ties, khakis, sperrys, and collared polo shirts (the fraternity will tell them what colors). I know that DD’s boyfriend ended up throwing away the polos (he bought them at Belk on sale…I was there and initially he bought 12 so not sure if he ended up buying more or not).<br>
Rush is what I call a work in progress. It usually gets going in the spring. The fraternities will have band parties and events and invite incoming freshmen in town to attend. It seems they hand out bids randomly and there does not appear to be any set schedule. Parties and events will continue throughout the summer. By the time Fall rolls around many fraternities have given out most of their bids. I do know that there seems to be some sort of a short time period that is called “Rush” right around the first week of school but do not know the particulars. Malani might know. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>My S is oos and registered online before he went down in Aug. That is all he did. He went around to a couple houses the first week or two of school & received a couple of bids to new row Houses. I would assume old row wouldn’t have many, if any openings by then. From what I’ve been told old row is mostly legacies, certain areas, AL hs, etc. You don’t have to go down any earlier. S was there for Alabama Action, but I don’t think he was doing anything until the first week of school.
Polo’s- lots of polo’s, pleated khaki’s(those were hard to find for skinny S), khaki shorts & Sperry top-siders are the top things.</p>

<p>Polo’s and sperry’s are a good idea, but no pleated khaki’s. Just regular front khaki’s will do. You don’t want your son embarrassed with pleated khaki’s. They make your front look boxy.</p>

<p>Pleated khakis were required for S’s fraternity. They were impossible to find in the NE, as younger guys only wear flat front here. It was only for the pledge period thank goodness.</p>

<p>ok thank you. so if he registers is that enough? will he receive emails from the chapters? and would the IFC preview weekend be worth going to or is it just explaining the greek system</p>

<p>If I were you I"d just call Greek life and ask those questions but my gut is that yes he will hear from some fraternities. I think IFC weekend is worth going to. He will get a chance to visit each fraternity I think and that at least gives him a chance to meet a few guys and express an interest.</p>

<p>Tider24, he should also check the individual chapter sites and register if that is offered. If he knows nobody at Alabama, he should go to the IFC preview weekend and any of the OOS meet-and-greets offered through the university [Out-of-State</a> Receptions](<a href=“http://alabama.theginsystem.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=55:out-of-state-greek-life-receptions&catid=2:latest&Itemid=12]Out-of-State”>http://alabama.theginsystem.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=55:out-of-state-greek-life-receptions&catid=2:latest&Itemid=12) Fraternity rush is much more relaxed and far less organized than sorority recruitment. Some fraternities routinely pledge upperclassmen and have spring semester pledge classes. With fraternities, it’s much more about who you know already in a group. As mentioned ldinct, many fraternities hold rush parties for prospective members all through the prospectives’ high school senior year and during the summer, and hand out bids during the summer (although they may not be “official” until the fall semester begins). But many fraternities pledge new and “unknown” and OOS students. He needs to meet as many people as possible and mention casually that he is interested in fraternity life.</p>

<p>S heard from a couple of fraternities after he registered. I don’t think it went much beyond that. When the semester began he started making the rounds with a few like minded guys.
I would go to preview weekend if you can. It was just too far for us to travel. In-person contacts are better, email isn’t the best.</p>

<p>thanks all! for letters of recommendation should they be actual letters sent or does son bring them to greek week or whatever event</p>

<p>Fraternities don’t require letters of recommendation, they are only for sororities.</p>

<p>I checked with DD"s boyfriend who is in a house and he said that letters are not needed (required) but if they come from an alum who is in good standing with the fraternity they can serve as a letter of introduction and it lets the fraternity know that the guy is interested in rushing. He said if the person who is writing the letter should personally know you or your son.</p>