Fraternity RUSH - Clothing Question

<p>I have a quick question re: guys clothing during and after RUSH. My son plans on attending RUSH but will wait until Spring if he decides to pledge a fraternity. Do some fraternities specify the type of clothing their prospective/pledges are to wear? </p>

<p>My son typically does not wear polo knit shirts or oxford button down shirts except for church or a business casual event. Should I still add more of these types of items to his wardrobe BEFORE he leaves on Friday.</p>

<p>yes…more polos.</p>

<p>Button down may be needed for Rush…not sure</p>

<p>Yes!!! DD’s boyfriend went and bought polos in red, navy blue, green, and white. He bought really cheap polos because he said that at the end of pledgeship they would be ruined and he would just throw them away (I do not know why he thought that but at the end he did throw them all away). He also needed long sleeved button down white shirts and khaki pants and a navy blue blazer as well as a variety of ties that had crimson in them (both long and bow ties). During Rush parties he wore Ralph Lauren Polos, PFG’s, regular polo shorts (no cargos!!!), guy harvey t-shirts, vineyard vines t-shirts, Southern shores t- shirts…polo button down long sleeved shirts…khaki pants…sperrys. Each Frat is different in what they require their pledges to wear. They will tell them once they have their first pledge meeting. DD’s BF had a brief period of time to get the clothes he needed (he ended up at Belk).</p>

<p>As aphimommy said. Yes to polos. When he pledges he’ll be required to wear a pledge pin. Those are only to be worn on a collared shirt so a polo or button down will be a must. </p>

<p>He’ll need polos, a few button downs, khaki shorts (not cargo) and khaki pants. He’ll also need a navy blazer, white dress shirt, and a tie for a few occasions. </p>

<p>He’ll also be wearing jeans and a certain color t-shirt (fraternity will tell him what color) for cleanups and yard work.</p>

<p>As far as shoes. Sperrys and new balance running shoes are popular. Though one can normally wear any brand of running shoe they want.</p>

<p>Stick with the basic colors for shirts (black, blue, dark red, white, hunter green, etc etc. DO NOT buy yellow, pink etc etc at this time.</p>

<p>When he goes through rush he should wear khaki shorts with a polo shirt (traditional color in solid or stripes) and a pair of sperrys (boat shoes) as he visits each house. </p>

<p>If he wears any jewelry tell him to take it off. And just say NO to hair gel.</p>

<p>Hair gel??? Channeling your inner “situation” NJ? I guess I have actually never seen a boy on campus with hair gel but then??? DD’s BF was not allowed to wear jeans…man the kid was a sweatty mess most of his pledgeship!! I remember him standing on sorority row on bid day in a long sleeved shirt and long khaki pants and it had to be 95 degrees at 10 am!!! He was there handing out roses to the girls as they ran by. If you ask him though he will tell you that he really likes his house and brothers and all of the whole process was worth it.
Momof3boyz will he participate in Fall recruitment but will not accept a bid until spring? Does anyone know can boys do that…hold a bid for that long I mean?</p>

<p>I just figured I’d better throw that one in there since we have a lot of OOS students coming to UA now. I don’t want anyone trying to go through rush with a spray tan, hair gel, and gold chains dangling just over top of their wife beater. Jorts (jean shorts) are another no no for guys. </p>

<p>Pledging can suck while you’re doing it. But like my fraternity big brother told me. Once it’s over you’ll look back on it with fondness. It’s the only time that you’re the center of the fraternity’s attention and the activities are geared towards you. It really is a great bonding time and some of your pledge brothers will be your best friends for the rest of your life.</p>

<p>Not all houses have a spring pledge class so it’s not possible to defer a bid for everyone. But the ones that do will allow you to do that if needed.</p>

<p>Each house is different but most houses have their pledges wear jeans and a specific color t-shirt for yard work and cleanups. At my house we wore jeans and a blue t-shirt. And I’m sure anyone driving past the DKE house has seen them out there in their levis and red t-shirts while raking leaves or cutting the grass.</p>

<p>roflmao NJ - you never know what us oos-ers might show up with. I’ve been trying to get my S to use gel for his curly hair to no avail. I am a fan of the spray tan, but for myself only. Hopefully we can dig up one pair of khaki’s that are serviceable from this years’ uniform. He isn’t sure if he will rush, but he wants to be prepared. Good to know about spring pledge. I told him he couldn’t do spring only freshman fall or soph fall.</p>

<p>I agree about the “attention”…it was so worth it! He loves his hose and is very happy, DD loves his house and is very happy…the men who were in our wedding were all pledge brothers of my H…as the bridesmaids and maid of honor were all sorority sisters :). Word to the wise…sell those gold chains guys…will pay your frat bills :slight_smile: (or better yet football tix for the fam ).!!! Good luck to all who go through Fraternity and sorority recruitment!</p>

<p>BTW, my post above wasn’t meant to offend anyone. It was simply a bit of info for those who are going to Rush so that they have the best chance to secure a bid. I personally don’t care how anyone dresses or how they groom themselves. As long as they shower and wear deodorant they’re ok in my book :-)</p>

<p>I don’t think any old row fraternities have spring classes. But I believe MOST (not all) new row fraternities still have them.</p>

<p>But waiting to the fall of his soph year isn’t a bad idea by any means. Pledging in the fall gives you a lot more of the traditional pledgship than pledging in the spring. Much bigger pledge class, swaps, football games and you have around 1,000 other male students going through the same sort of things you are at the same time. That kinship can help get you through the rough times.</p>

<p>Oh my …I also didn’t mean to offend anyone, It seems that the whole Rush/pledgeship Frat thing is an entity unto itself…but a memorable experience and I believe worth it on multiple levels… gives you a social/friend base as well as a networking system further down the road job wise. I am not sure about the whole spring rush but agree with NJ better to go through the process with more guys (yep kinship is a good thing) and all the fun stuff that happens in the fall…so if that doesn’t work for you then wait for fall soph year.</p>

<p>And now a word from our sponsor…</p>

<p>[Polo</a> Shirts | Men’s Polo Shirts | Men’s Dress Shirts | Shop Hanes.com](<a href=“http://www.hanes.com/Hanes/Categories/Men-Hanes/Men_ShopByCategory-Hanes/Men_PolosanddresShirts-Hanes.aspx]Polo”>http://www.hanes.com/Hanes/Categories/Men-Hanes/Men_ShopByCategory-Hanes/Men_PolosanddresShirts-Hanes.aspx)</p>

<p>[Outer</a> Banks : Catalog Home](<a href=“http://www.outerbankssportswear.com/Catalog/CatalogHome.aspx?categoryId=8]Outer”>http://www.outerbankssportswear.com/Catalog/CatalogHome.aspx?categoryId=8)</p>

<p>My OOS daughter was excited to get her first Guy Harvey t-shirt (with swordfish!) while we were at a SC beach last week. Do the guys wear them too?</p>

<p>Yes they do…DD’s boyfriend has quite a collection.</p>