Fraternity Rushing

<p>I’m a senior in Florida, and plan to attend the honors program at the University of Alabama with a full-ride from the National Merit competition. When I visited UA, I realized how prominent Greek life is, and everybody I talked to said it was awesome.
However, a lot of the old row houses seem to stress legacies, and I’m not sure if I would be able to get a bid to any of the better fraternities simply because I’m OOS and don’t have any personal connections to them. My cousin Drew who I’m close to said he was friends with several members.
What I’m wondering is:
-Will I be able to get bids to the old row fraternities if my only connection is my cousin’s friends?
-How expensive can I expect dues to be for old row and for new row?
-Do I have to attend the informal spring and summer events to be considered, or can I just rush in fall?
If there’s anything else I need to know, feel free to share as well.</p>

<p>I was wondering about this too.</p>

<p>Sent from my MB860 using CC App</p>

<p>Question…are you only interested in “Old Row” houses and since you are OOS why??? You need to register with Greek Life at UA ([Greek</a> Life](<a href=“http://greeklife.ua.edu/ifcrecruitment.html]Greek”>http://greeklife.ua.edu/ifcrecruitment.html)). they will let the fraternities know you are interested in rushing. There will be a Preview weekend in March (I beleive it is the 25th? again Greek Life will know) that you will be able to visit the fraternities and let them know you are interested. Fraternity Rush is different that sorority. My DD’s boyfriend is in a fraternity on campus. Generally parties are held throughout the Spring and summer with bid given out throughout that time as well right after school begins. There are several posters on here who have sons who are in fraternities and who have gone through this process. As I tell the young women who I help go through recruitment…keep an open mind and don’t limit your choices. Greek Life at Alabama is a wonderful experience. I strongly encourage you to contact Greek Life…that’s step one!</p>