Fraternity stuff

<p>Son signed bid card last night. He’s pledged Pi Kappa Phi and very excited. Anyone have a Pi Kapp in the family…? </p>

<p>I know the guys have a completely different process than the girls. I watched the girls bid video… Amazing ! Congrats to all the girls !</p>

<p>Congrats to your son. :)</p>

<p>Congrats, strong fraternity. And I say that in every sense of the word. Those boys aren’t afraid to mix it up when needed :-)</p>

<p>S also pledging Pi Kapps, where are you guys from??</p>

<p>Signal: we are from the Dallas area. Plano…</p>

<p>Just a general Greek FYI
The 2010 Greek Grade report is here;
<a href=“http://www.greeklife.ua.edu/docs/Spring%202010%20Grade%20Report.xls[/url]”>www.greeklife.ua.edu/docs/Spring%202010%20Grade%20Report.xls</a></p>

<p>Signalmtn…I sent you a PM</p>

<p>Searchguy…don’t have one can you resend???</p>

<p>Just sent…not sure where the last one went. Many thanks to Al Gore for inventing the internet so that we can do this stuff…!</p>

<p>S signed on to Alpha Kappa Lambda??? He never thought he’d wear those khakis and polos again- ha ha. Same uniform as prep school. I guess it’s just for first semester mostly. Although it amazes me how dressed up they all get for games. It seems a little hot for blazer and tie. He is excited.
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>DD’s boyfriend told me the secret is to cut the lining out of the blazer (he showed us the inside of his when we were there last year…looked …well…stringy but who sees the inside. He says that it is remarkably cooler :).</p>

<p>LOL, that is funny. At least they are letting them wear khaki shorts now.</p>

<p>Yes…I noticed the khaki shorts in the Bid Day pics…bet that was a blessing…heard the heat and humidity was brutal! Will have to ask BF if they are allowed to wear them to games…am laughing picturing the guys with khaki shorts, blazers, shirts, bow ties and brooms (only those who do not have dates!!)…oh and tall black socks with loafers…yeah won’t happen…well maybe???</p>

<p>Son seems to like Phi Kappa Psi. Any Actives on this forum? My concern is the low GPA ranking. The brothers say they have mandatory study tables. Is this for pledges only?
Are there any Fraternity houses that allow freshmen to move into their house Spring Semester?
Assuming a Fall Pledge becomes a member of a Fraternity, what food plan options are available for Spring Semester?</p>

<p>Do guys REALY tear the lining out of their Navy Blue Sport Coat? I pray my son does not do that to his, it was not cheap! I need to find a cheap one at a resale/Goodwill store. How many times a week do pledges wear a sport coat?</p>

<p>DD’s BF bought 2 coats…he kept one for good (the expensive one) and cut (not tear) the lining out of the other one. From what I understand not all but some (most of BF’s pledge class) did do this. On top of that he bought 10 very cheap polo shirts at Belk. He said that at the end of the pledgeship he threw them away. this then preserved his good Ralph Lauren Polos. I asked him how many times he wore the “altered” blazer …he said at leasta couple of times a week . NJ can chime in on this but I have heard that with all the cleaning ect that the clothes take a beating and so most fraternities tell the guys to pick up some cheap “throw away” clothes. DD’s BF got a “list” so to speak of what he needed.</p>

<p>We found a great blue blazer at Goodwill, it was half price so he can cut as he pleases!</p>

<p>Our son is considering a bid from Kappa Sig, who recently got their charter back. I am a little nervous about their reputation around campus. Any feedback from wiser parents? I joined a fraternity at Memphis under the same conditions, and the brothers were all top-notch because we were under a magnifying glass. We still had alot of fun too.</p>

<p>I appreciate any thoughts.</p>

<p>I didn’t realize Kapp Sig got their charter back already. They’re a good fraternity when they’re on campus but they just haven’t been on campus much in the last 20 years. Between hazing and alcohol violations they’ve been off campus more than they’ve been on.</p>

<p>Hopefully they’ve finally learned their lesson. Their next door neighbors to the north damn sure better have learned theirs.</p>