Frats

<p>I may or may not join a frat in college still on the fence. both choices have pros and cons. But i have heard lots of frats at ua are expensive, and extra charges to your college life. Which frats are the more less expensive ones to join? and do the frats tell you up front the financial challenges at rush?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>As the one who pays the bill only, I was given the info that S’s fraternity was in the mid-low range of Bama fraternities. It looks expensive when you get the bills a couple of times each semester but then you deduct the meal plan which is at least $1500 each semester. So I think the balance of charges add up to maybe $2000 for the rest of the year. S didn’t even get the Greek 50.</p>

<p>But there are other things, you have to wear specific clothes which might be an extra expense. Plus yearly formal & other events.</p>

<p>Each fraternity has a different fee structure. I would contact Greek Life…they might be able to help you. DD dates a wonderful young man who is an active in a “new row” fraternity. His expenses run about $4000 a semester and that does include food. He does not have a Bama dining plan but does use dining dollars and Bama Cash. He had to purchase specific clothing for Pledge ship…I asked him how much he spent and he said about $300 on khakis, shoes, blue blazers (he bought 3 and cut the linings out of 2 to wear to football games), and polo shirts ( he had to have specific colors…bought them on sale at Belk and he said that he threw them away a different times during his pledge ship because they were no longer wearable…didn’t ask “why”.
He also said he a large “out of pocket” expense for items required by “the brothers”…again didn’t ask what he bought but he said it was in excess of $1000. Formal is coming up and they are going to NOLA…cost $600 and i would think they might spend another $200 or so at least. So…if YOU CHOOSE and I say CHOOSE ( because although there are some things you HAVE to purchase I do believe that it is a choice and this dear young man perhaps spent more than he needed to). Fraternity life can be a little pricey but I have to tell you the brotherhood and networking are fabulous!</p>

<p>I will have to defer to aphimommy as the Greek expert. Her description of charges sound more accurate. My S was always buying clothes and he had a lot of khakis & polos from prep school which didn’t work.
Also, they call them fraternities at Bama not frats.</p>

<p>jetsfan…</p>

<p>Since you’re trying to figure out how to get all of your school costs covered, I don’t think it’s a good idea to be considering pledging right now. </p>

<p>From the above posts, joining a fraternity would cost you an additional $5k+ per year at least. The amount that Ahpimommy’s D’s boyfriend is paying is astounding ($8k per year?). Yikes. Even when subtracting food that is a lot.</p>

<p>*S didn’t even get the Greek 50.
*</p>

<p>Idinct…so if you’re a frosh, you can get by with only buying your house’s meal plan? You don’t have to buy anything from Bama? I thought greek frosh had some minimum plan that they had to buy.</p>

<p>They do still have to buy Dining Dollars, right?</p>

<p>I asked my son, who is in a fraternity, about the costs. He said that they range “from $500 to $5,000 a semester, depending on the fraternity.”</p>

<p>Yes he bought Dining dollars. He was going to do the Greek 50, but dining dollars sounds easier & can carry over or refund. But you are still hit with a $200 or so cancellation fee each semester.</p>

<p>Pledging both Fraternities and sororities is expensive. DD’s boyfriend house is not the most expensive but towards the “high” end. We currently pay $3500 for DD a semester to be in her sorority and are now adding another $2500 a semester because she is now living in the house. It does include food and all of her “social” costs unlike fraternities …there are still hidden social costs involved. If money is concern then pledging might not be the best option.</p>

<p>*I asked my son, who is in a fraternity, about the costs. He said that they range “from $500 to $5,000 a semester, depending on the fraternity.” *</p>

<p>Are the lower costs ones without houses? Are those the ones that aren’t the more typical social fraternities? Maybe are more academic-related?</p>

<p>*Yes he bought Dining dollars. He was going to do the Greek 50, but dining dollars sounds easier & can carry over or refund. But you are still hit with a $200 or so cancellation fee each semester. *</p>

<p>You’re having to pay a $200 per semester cancel fee? How much would the Greek 50 cost?</p>

<p>The Greek 50 plan is $422 per semester and the fraternity meal plan charge for S is $1350. The fraternity all-in charges run about 3800 per semester. He is in and “old row” University Drive house. My hunch is those tend be higher cost than others…frankly, alot more costly than i thought it was going to be. First semester tends to be the most costly due to clothing, costume, general pledge expenes. That said, the benefits and experience he is having in his fraternity and at Bama in general are worth every penny. He managed to enjoy himself and make the Dean’s list! </p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Glad to hear that your son is doing well at Bama! Congrats on the Deans List.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Believe it or not but a couple of the “new row” houses run higher that Searchguy’s son’s house. Those who have built new houses have a hefty bill. My DD’s sorority will have a new house in Spring "13…we have been told to prepare for a major price hike!!! may have to get DH some tranquilizers to take when the bill hits. I agree thought both for DD and her boyfriend the experiences and networking as well as leadership opportunities have been fantastic. Yes… and both of our kiddos DD and boyfriend also made the Dean’s list as well.</p>