Freshman Dorms

<p>I'm not going to do Themed Housing such as RLC simply because of the cost. But when I'm filling out my housing contract is there any options I should put to increase my odds at getting a good dorm (by options I'm speaking of visitation options, etc...)</p>

<p>Basically all are about equal (except the more expensive suite / AC ones) and it ends up being kind of random anyway. You will love wherever you end up so don’t sweat it.</p>

<p>Visitation options aren’t really different from dorm to dorm, and even the rules on the books are only enforced if there’s a problem (ie your roommate complains.) I had a very strict RA and he knew me and some other guys had girlfriends stay over when our roommates were out of town.</p>

<p>Short answer: no. There’s nothing you can really do if cost is your main factor here.</p>

<p>Unfortunately cost=good dorm for the most part. You really won’t be able to get a “good” dorm (newer, with AC) for cheap. ([Room</a> Rates | Your Housing & Dining Contract | Housing & Residence Life | DSA | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.housing.vt.edu/rates/]Room”>http://www.housing.vt.edu/rates/))</p>

<p>The cheapest multiple-occupancy rooms, per semester, are those in the upper and lower quad. These are also the most likely dorms you’ll get (mainly lower quad since upper is primarily corps) without doing themed housing of some sort. Many of these dorms are visitation option 3 (I believe), so picking one really won’t make much of a difference.</p>

<p>Honestly though, you’re hardly ever in your room anyway, and after the first week or so the AC isn’t really an issue because it’s already starting to get cold.</p>

<p>Do any of the dorms have rooms with cable TV hook-ups? Or do students still have to fight over the TV in the common rooms?</p>

<p>As far as I know every room has cable. Maybe some of the Corps dorms don’t?</p>

<p>That’s good – is it provided by the school or do kids have to arrange for it separately? (Can you tell I’m old school? We had to arrange for our own phones with the telephone company, LOL!)</p>

<p>It’s provided by the school. You plug your TV in, connect it to the outlet and bam, cable TV. At least that’s how it was 2 years ago, I doubt it’s changed much.</p>