Freshman Dorms

I was just curious about the freshman dorm sizes and fitting everything in them. Will I be able to fit a tv into my room if i double with a friend and can someone talk about Stanford and Hecht and why they have two different vibes/labels? Thanks in advance.

Hi I recently just toured UM over spring break. I would say the dorms are very small especially if you get a double. If you double I would say it would be difficult to fit a TV comfortably in the room. I don’t know the differences between Stanford and Hecht because I didn’t get to see them both.

@o24631 my D is a freshman at the U! She is in a double and the rooms are small but you can find room for a tv if you are creative or if you choose to loft your bed. People who loft their beds have made room for a futon and tv underneath the futons. I’m not sure why you say Stanford and Hecht have two different labels. From what my D tells me all the freshman dorms are pretty much the same and you don’t get to pick which one you are put in so I don’t know how one would have a different label than another (but I could be wrong!)

Is the only bed loft options the one listed in the housing information, or do people loft with risers from bed bath and beyond or other places? The lofts from the company listed on the housing website look very high, but the risers I’ve seen at BBB look like they don’t give much space under the bed, certainly not enough for a refrigerator.

@Mom2NND Most kids put the refrigerator between the beds or near the door/closet if they aren’t using the lofting option that housing provides. You can use the risers from BBB that raise the bed by about 6 inches. Some even have an electrical outlet in them. Anyhow, the rooms aren’t pretty, but there is quite a bit of storage space between the closet/dresser/desk. We actually ended up returning the risers because D had plenty of space and preferred to have the comfort of the bolster to lean on.

My son HATED the loft bed option that the school arranges in Stanford. Had the risers removed almost immediately. Too high. He had no problem with storage space with his bed on the floor. But plan on buying plastic drawers on wheels from BBB or Target. He definitely needed the extra drawer space. We bought him a refrigerator that fit between the two beds but he never used it. One thing both of my kids valued in their dorms–a large computer monitor for their desks.