Freshman Engineer - Housing Question

<p>Housing question.......</p>

<p>My son will be a 2013 fall freshman, studying petroleum engineering......currently has housing at Mosher.</p>

<p>Our question for fell engineering students, is it better to be at Mosher your freshman year or would it hurt you to live elsewhere. </p>

<p>The Stack looks awesome and he also has a brother at A&M who has an apartment.</p>

<p>Any thoughts would be helpful.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I’d say it wouldn’t hurt if he knows how to study and probably won’t need help from upperclassmen.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t think not being housed at Mosher would prevent him from getting help from upper-classmen necessarily. They would just be more available at Mosher. My D is an incoming freshman, and she did not opt for Mosher.</p>

<p>I would think the MAIN thing is if you need help, no matter where you’re housed, you should seek it out.</p>

<p>My son lived at Mosher last year for his first year at A&M. There are supposedly engineering students downstairs on a regular basis who are there to provide help; my son only used it a couple of times, but that help makes it seem a good choice for engineering majors, especially for the Physics and Engineering(programming) courses in 2nd semester which many of the students complain about.
Actually, he found it more helpful to work with someone who was in a couple of his classes, and they generally consulted each other about problems in which they get stuck on math, physics, or programming. </p>

<p>The worst part of Mosher was how weary he became of sharing a bathroom with 3 other people, so moving somewhere for 2nd year where he had his own bathroom was greatly appreciated, BUT living off campus means having to drive over, park far away, and deal w/ weather issues. So, he signed up in December to move to the Stack for 3rd year so that he can just walk a block, cross the street, and be at the engineering center. The car stays in the garage unless he wants to go somewhere after class or on the weekend.<br>
Obviously, there are advantages and disadvantages to either scenario, mainly including time, convenience, finances, and food preparation.</p>

<p>My son, also a freshman this Fall, will be living at The Stack. Location to Engineering/Physics Bldg is great. Looks like a fabulous set up with a great location.</p>