Freshman here- coordinating roomate selection

<p>Thanks anyway for trying MikeW :)</p>

<p>zgrace - that is the opposite of what i was told last year.</p>

<p>Need to watch the video tomorrow. Will S need his own proxy code? Where is that again?</p>

<p>zgrace: I’d get it in writing, if I were you. This is from the Q & A on the UA housing website…</p>

<p>Can I move into honors housing after my freshman year?</p>

<p>According to current HRC policy, only current residents and incoming freshmen in the Honors College can select a space in honors housing. Please keep that in mind as you select your housing for your freshman year.</p>

<p>Would an email be sufficient if we ran into problems next year? Several people in housing have told me that. Right now it’s kind of an abstract theory. My roommate (who I will hopefully be rooming with for the next 4 years) is not in honors, but probably wants to try to get in with the 3.0 GPA after the 1st semester. I am in honors and have the NMF scholarship. I just want to make sure that I will have a super-suite as an upperclassman. :/</p>

<p>I have the same general questions as hokiefan and Rose…</p>

<p>Basically, will it be evident when my son goes to make his room selection WHICH rooms are Honors rooms? (If he picked the 4th floor in Ridgecrest North, let’s say, when 1st and 3rd floors are honors, will it be evident that he’s making a mistake?)</p>

<p>And, as hokiefan pointed out, the info on different pages of the website differs a little bit. One page (the hall descriptions page) says that Riverside East (I think it was) is Honors, but another page (the Living Learning Community page) doesn’t list Riverside East as an Honors hall. How do us newbies know for sure? (Both website pages are accessed from the same drop down list on the Housing website.)</p>

<p>Oh, and another stupid question that will demonstrate how out of touch I am with the whole Bama thing …</p>

<p>What exactly is “the Strip?” :o</p>

<p>Ooh, ooh, I can answer your last question. It’s where the Publix grocery store is as well as a whole “strip” of restaurants and shops :)</p>

<p>^Oh! Thanks, Rose! :)</p>

<p>It sounds like us newbies are going to have a lot of fun tomorrow night with room selection. I sure hope all goes well. I’m having visions of a computer crash as my son is responsible to get these kids into the suite. Good luck to all. I hope we all wind up where we are suppossed to be since there is conflicting info online.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, your honors student will not see just the honors housing but all rooms that are open. That could cause some confusion. For example, for the guys, they will see which rooms in Paty have open spaces. The first night of selection is not too bad. It’s later in the spring that could post a problem, because there will be more students online seeking rooms.</p>

<p>Thanks for the answer, momreads! That’s too bad that the honors rooms won’t stand out as such. I’ll be working and out of communication during the sign-up … I hope my son doesn’t have any problems and that he picks an actual honors room! Yikes. What a difference that would make over four years if he didn’t!</p>

<p>Like hokiefan, it makes me a little uneasy that the information on the website conflicts. I’d feel much better about it if it were consistent. The good news is, the dorm in question is not my son’s first choice anyway. Breathe. :)</p>

<p>I have to agree it’s vague as far as what is/isn’t Honors, at least when I was looking last week to make sure. The use of terminology Ridgecrest South vs. Ridgecrest South North vs. Ridgecrest North is confusing. AFAIK RSN and RN mean the same thing.</p>

<p>Definitively, can someone list the Honors Dorms here for the incoming freshmen? I think it would really be helpful to clarify it and have it here for reference esp. if they are having to make a split-second decision. I would do it but still somewhat unclear about if RSN is floors 1-3 or 1-4.
Also, what is the deal with the 2-room suites? Does an individual room in one of those cost the same as the 4-room suites? Looks like there were a few of those open so they might also be an option.</p>

<p>I copied this directly from UA’s Housing page, you need to click on each residence hall and read the descriptions carefully. Some halls list honors designation in the title, some in the descriptive paragraphs.</p>

<p>Riverside East and West are for students in the University Honors Program</p>

<p>Ridgecrest South is divided into two towers: North & South. The North Tower houses Honors students on the 1st through the 3rd floors</p>

<p>Ridgecrest West is a part of the Honors Community</p>

<p>Lakeside East and West
| Honors(West)</p>

<p>I do not think that I missed any.</p>

<p>**However, I would also caution about not selecting honors housing for freshman year and then expecting honors housing the following year. Not only would I get that in writing but this year some honors students were waitlisted for housing for their second year. This was finally resolved.</p>

<p>*Here is the projected housing rates: 2 bedrooms are more expensive.
The University of Alabama
Housing and Residential Communities
2011-2012 Projected Residence Hall Rates
(Per Semester)
9 MONTH CONTRACTS:
UNDERGRADUATE HALLS
Double occupancy or higher ………………………………… $2,550.00
Single …………………………………………………….… $2,975.00
Blount Hall (double occupancy bedroom) ……………….… $3,225.00
Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (4 bedroom unit)… $4,050.00
Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (2 bedroom unit)…. $4,475.00
Riverside, Lakeside, Bryant, Ridgecrest (1 bedroom unit)…$4,750.00
UNDERGRADUATE APARTMENTS
Rose Towers (double occupancy bedroom)…………………. $2,650.00
*Bryce Lawn and Highlands (double occupancy bedroom)… $2,850.00
*Bryce Lawn and Highlands (single occupancy bedroom)…. $4,050.00
11.5 MONTH CONTRACTS:^
*The Bluffs (3 bedroom unit)…………………………………$4,425.00
Summer………………………………………………. $2,375.00
Total contract amount…………………………………$11,225.00
*The Bluffs (2 bedroom unit)…………………………………$4,750.00
Summer………………………………………………. $2,600.00
Total contract amount…………………………………$12,100.00
*These buildings are available to upperclassman students only
^ The only contract length available for The Bluffs</p>

<p>OK, so just using Ridgecrest South as an example. If my D logs in tomorrow and chooses Ridgecrest South in the “building” drop down. Will she be shown rooms in the North Tower based on rooms on the 1st - 3rd floor only, or will she also see rooms on the 4th and 5th floor? Same question for the South Tower, would she even “see” rooms in the south tower if they are not really Honors? And … if she DOES see rooms in South Tower or on the 4th-5th floor of North Tower, and she is allowed to choose one of those rooms, will it impact her in future years since she did not officially choose “honors” housing as a freshmen (even though she would be in the Ridgecrest “building”).</p>

<p>Obviously, this will be MUCH less confusing for them if they are only shown availability for both buildings and floors that are designated as Honors.</p>

<p>Can anyone comment? Thanks.</p>

<p>Dad2ILD: Hope that this will help a little bit…</p>

<p>When your student logs onto the page that will show room selection, he or she needs to select the number of suites needed – for example, if you want a four-person because you are pulling in three others, you select four. Then, you select the residence hall. You can select a particular hall or you can ask that all are shown with that particular number criteria. </p>

<p>As for Ridgecrest South, the student should see all rooms available in South-South or South-North (the upperclassmen could when they picked). That includes the non-honors suites/rooms. If the student is in honors but selects the fourth or fifth floor (non-honors), then it will affect what he or she can do in future years. Honors students, at the present time, must live in honors as first-year students if they hope to have honors housing in future years.</p>

<p>The reason why housing has to list all residence halls is that some honors students may choose to live in non-honors housing – Tutwiler, for example.</p>

<p>The whole North/South Tower situation is confusing. My son had selection much easier the first time around. He just picked Lakeside West, because he knew it was honors.</p>

<p>My D is in Ridgecrest West now but will be in Ridgecrest South-North Tower next year. On the page that lists her roommates & her name, at the top is the indication “honors community.” Specifically:
Assignment Information
Community: Honors Community
Building: Ridgecrest South North Tower</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>momreads … yes that does help. So, she will look for availability for “2” in ONLY Ridgecrest South-North on floors 1 - 3. If none exist, then it’s on to Ridgecrest West, which I believe is ALL Honors, and then on down the pecking order from there. Thanks! Her time is 8:00 pm Central tomorrow … hopefully there will be a suite left in R-S-N on the 1st 3 floors. :-)</p>

<p>Dad2ILD: Why is your daughter looking for availability of “2”?? Is she looking for a two bedroom suite. That may severely limit her choices. There are not an even number of four and two bedroom suites. I don’t know how many two bedrooms there are, but I would suspect not many.</p>

<p>You need to have a list prepared beforehand with first,second, and third choices. Suites will go fast and having a list will give you an edge.</p>

<p>^^^ maybe I worded wrong, she is looking for a room that has at least 2 open rooms, since she will be pulling in via proxy another honors freshman. So she needs to see any room that has 2 or more open “slots.” Thanks.</p>