Freshman Housing

<p>So, I will be attending the University of Wisconsin next year as a freshman. I'm an OOS student, and I have no idea which dorms would suit me best.</p>

<p>I am a lively person. I would like to meet a lot of new people. Also, noise doesn't bother me. Basically, I would like to live in the nicest and most social dorm. Could you guys please inform about the different dorms available for freshman. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I recommend you read the threads below…just scroll down:
-Freshman Housing
-Which dorms are the best?
-Housing deadlines / choices
-Learning Communities
-Best Southwest Dorm?
-Differences between Bradley & Chad
There are many more.
Then, if you have a specific question that’s different or unique, ask away…</p>

<p>Also, I’ve learned from people on campus this year that < 15% of Freshman get their top choice dorm. For me, that means don’t get locked into one dorm. Think about area, features, etc. The Housing site even recommends that you’re top 5 be within either SE or Lakeshore (one or the other). If you happen to really like a dorm that has a learning community, or you really want a specific learning community…that’s a way of significantly increasing the chances that you’ll be in a specific dorm.</p>

<p>No one can tell you want you want. Go through the Res Halls website for information on each dorm. First decide general location- Lakeshore or Southeast. Figure out which building style most suits you- high/lowrise, oldest/newest, etc. Figure out if any learning communities appeal to you. Consider your budget and extra amenities such as air conditioning. Make your ranked list and revise it until the May 1st (check for the actual date) deadline. Relax and know that wherever you end up on campus there will be plenty of like minded freshmen who chose UW. Res Hall maintains all of its buildings equally so there are no “slums”. Food service likewise- and you can eat in any of them. All dorms have pros and cons, you decide if any features outrank any others. Regardless of where you live you have the whole campus as your neighborhood.</p>

<p>I can tell you one thing: if you want to meet new people, and have some fun, don’t choose Phillips Hall. Phillips Hall is only good because the rooms are quite big (huge compared to most rooms in the university housing) and you have your own private bathroom. But in the end, it isn’t worth it. People here are private, they don’t open their doors to meet new people. Phillips Hall is also a quite dorm. You don’t go there to party.
I keep hearing good things about Ogg Hall but it is more of a Sophomore dorm. Sellery and Witte are party dorms.
But as wis75 wrote, it is your choice. YOU have to decide on where you want to live.
Hope this helped.</p>

<p>~
Tim</p>

<p>Whats the international learning community like? I realize that where you live at a large state school is a huge factor in getting close friendships and having fun. I want to party and have a lot of fun while at Madison and I don’t want to live in a boring dorm. At the same time, I want academic stimulation and I really enjoy meeting people from other places, learning new languages, and learning about other cultures. Whats the social scene like among kids in the international learning community? What other dorms are there that could possibly fit my personality the best (from what little you know about me)? I agree with An0malyy in that I want a very nice, sociable community</p>