Freshman orientation - Fall 2019 Discussion

@601abc Those categories would likely to be treated the same way - as their own subset of the overall waitlist pool.

It that you never know who is going to accept their offers and who isn’t. You could be undecided and all the undecideds that had offers all decide on Tech - - and then no undecideds get off the waiting list. Where in my example if you had declared yourself as history major you would have got in. But you never know which major is going to have the most open spots …. so its always an unknown. Even Virginia Tech gets their predictions wrong as to what % are most likely to accept. Until May 1, when all the acceptances are in will they have any clue as to where the open spots really are.

I think then after May 1 - departments will start taking people from the top of their department list and reaching out to waitlist students. Others can probably post experiences from prior years but I think when they contact you about the waitlist you only have like 48 hours to make your decision or they move on to next on the departments list.

If you look at last years thread they actually started contacting people off waitlist about 4/26 and gave them a few weeks to decide at that point.

Thanks for the info. The first question we are going to face is that if they will pull anyone off the WL this year, fingers crossed.

Yes fingers crossed for everyone. Like I mentioned before - I think would have learned from a few years ago not to overcommit in accepting. But you never know - this year seems like a very competitive year and they may get a higher yield than normal with some students not getting in to harder to gain acceptance schools. Example: My son has some friends wanting UVA and were rejected with 4.5-4.6 GPA and 1400+ SAT. Their next hardest down fallback has been Virginia Tech.

I see lots of people waiting to get into Virginia Tech and now its makes more difficult to let go offer my d got.

Was waitlisted for engineering. Ik on their website it says that LOCI and visits dont make a difference but would it still be recommended to do so. Everything about VT seems so awesome and I wanna do what I can to get in.

New VT website just for information for Class of 2023

https://vt.edu/vt23.html