Freshman Roommate Finder

<p>Has anyone had experience with letting UA select your Freshman roommate? DS just found out the guy he was planning to room with is now going to USC. He doesn’t seem too concerned but I know having compatible roommates can be helpful in that first year. He’s pretty social, but not a big partier, wants to go Greek, very athletic, Non-honors. He’s majoring in Civil Engineering and as a solid “B” student he’ll need to hit the books hard. He’s pretty mellow and not big on planning ahead. I’m concerned he’ll end up in a situation that won’t be optimal. Any advice on the best way to find a roommate? He’s interested in living in either Riverside or Lakeside. Any advice would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Fairways, this is an aside but I have a son at USC, and they don’t do early admission. How could he know he is going there yet? Most students won’t find out until early March. If he is up for a big scholarship, he will find out in about two weeks. He does mean USC in Los Angeles?</p>

<p>I bet he means South Carolina.</p>

<p>Yes it must be!</p>

<p>I found two out of three of DD’s roomies from meeting their moms here on CC and she LOVES them. Do not discount the possibilities presented on these threads.</p>

<p>Chiming in to echo TXA. Having a great roommate situation has made a great school even better for my daughter – all thanks to CC.</p>

<p>^^^^ Thanks to CC my daughter is part of a wonderful roommate group! We are very fortunate for the wonderful friends made and connections due to CC. DD could not have been in a better suite!</p>

<p>Ditto here! CC has been wonderful to find roommates, and to find connections w/ other families of our students.</p>

<p>My son had great success last year finding his roommates using Roommate Finder on the housing site. It is cumbersome, but it worked out well for us. Looks like they may have a newer version this year.</p>

<p>The ONLY issue DS had with roommate finder last year is that it did not interact with the ua e-mail account. A student had to log into the account to read any messages that were sent.</p>

<p>That is true. I would log on every day for him and them tell him if he had messages. I also would look through potential roommates and flag ones for him to look at. He was in the middle of Varsity Basketball season and just didn’t have time to do the initial search. Once he connected with his first roommate they did everything else through texting and Facebook.</p>