Freshmen Learning Communities

<p>We’re a little frustrated at my house and we haven’t even attended BB and tried to register. My DS is interested in participating in the Pre-Law Freshmen Learning Community as he plans to attend law school and feels this class would be interesting and beneficial. However, he doesn’t know how it will work with him already having credit for En 101 (and En 102) and PSC 101. Will he be able to participate without taking the linked courses? (This is one area where being an overachiever is proving to be detrimental.) We have looked at several other FLC and most all have En 101 as a linked course. Anyone else facing this issue (or have faced this issue) and have words of wisdom?</p>

<p>Pre-Law</p>

<p>Joe Smith </p>

<p>Many UA students plan to attend law school and go on to practice law. This freshman learning community is a good place to beginning that plan. The courses that are part of this community are excellent preparation for “pre-law” regardless of your particular academic interest. The one credit hour FLC 101 gives an opportunity to meet practicing attorneys, sit in on law school classes, discuss various legal issues, learn more about law school admission, and become involved in the University’s Pre-Law Student Organization.</p>

<p>FLC Linked Courses:</p>

<p>EN 101 English Composition</p>

<p>PSC 101 Introduction to American Politics</p>

<p>This issue actually came up in one of the parent orientation programs. The speaker, who taught a FLC, said he would work with the student to get exempted from the linked course. Although, in his example, there was only one course (EN 101) in which the student had credit.</p>

<p>I would contact the professor of the FLC and/or chair of FLC’s and try to work this situation out. I think they will work with you, but every prof is different.</p>

<p>Thanks MABama! Should my DS contact them now or make contact once he arrives at BB next week?</p>

<p>I would absolutely start the process NOW! Things will be hectic at BB and it is best to contact them when there are not a lot of distractions. As well, they may not be at BB, but will hopefully check their email. I would email BOTH professor of FLC and chair of FLC’s at your earliest convenience. Let us know how it works out.</p>

<p>We had that exact situation – by virtue of the FLC, DS was automatically “linked” to classes he didn’t want, including non-Honors En and non-Honors Western Civ. </p>

<p>Dr. Chenault got it all cleared up for us, and DS is now registered in precisely those classes he wanted. I would definitely suggest contacting Dr. Marc Chenault. I have his addy at home and will look it up tonight.</p>

<p>Hmmmm, I wonder whether the pre-law FLC was a late add to the FLC program? Certainly if DS had seen it earlier, he would have opted for it (rather than for History & Hollywood), seeing as he does intend to go to law school. Waaaaah. When does it meet? I am wondering whether he could audit or something. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!</p>