Freshmen Orientation: When are you going?

<p>I just signed up. The soonest session that was available was June 14-15. I’ll be staying in the dorms for 3 nights.</p>

<p>Who else is signed up for orientation? When?</p>

<p>21-22 staying overnight on 20-21</p>

<p>Last one. June 28-29 I think.</p>

<p>My daughter is going June 24 & 25th, staying overnight on the 24th.</p>

<p>im heading there for may 27-28</p>

<p>Tell us how it goes!</p>

<p>Will we be scheduling classes at orientation? How will AP credit be accounted for? I won’t get all my scores back until mid-July and I’m going May 27-28th. If I get 4’s and 5’s, will the credits be added later (before school starts)? I’d appreciate any answers!</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>OG-J</p>

<p>Yeeeeep… Bring an unofficial transcript for the advisors to look over… that’s what I’ve been told! :slight_smile: hope that helps. However, you still need to take the math placement test…??? I don’t know why… pretty stupid…</p>

<p>Your advisor will explain everything you need to know regarding AP exams and scheduling at orientation.</p>

<p>All right, thanks for the answers.</p>

<p>Do you know if we should pay for orientation fees prior to going to orientation?</p>

<p>Yeah, I paid mine already.</p>

<p>I’ll recount my orientation a few years ago: It’s hot, it’s boring, it’s generally useless. I got out of the math placement cause of Calc AP (or SAT math score…can’t remember) and lang placement cause of Spanish AP. Got my CatCard, registered for classes (had them picked out ready to go beforehand), toured campus, and went home. A lot of kids are panicky about (and during) orientation, but I remember it as being pretty straightforward since most every question I had was answered somewhere in the UA website labyrinth.</p>

<p>Just have a copy of your SAT score report, transcript, and what classes you want…and you’ll be good to go. There was inbetween tasks I think I did beforehand like setting up my NetID for email and all before orientation.</p>

<p>Regarding AP credit, it all gets added in automatically into your transcript if you sent the scores to them. Then you’ll have to contact your college administrative (not academic) advisor and say “I want spanish AP to count for tier I indv instead of SPAN 201, etc.” It’s slightly annoying to deal with, but doesn’t take more than a few days to get straightened out via email.</p>

<p>When’s check in and stuff? Where do you stay? Etc. stuff like that! Fill us in!</p>

<p>UAKid has some good stuff to say about orientation. Also, there’s one thing that will most likely help you guys a ton: don’t just come with your classes picked out, but come with a list of times. After this first round of registration, things get easier in that they’re scattered and less people are fighting for seats, but this registration is the toughest. If you come with a sheet of paper saying “SPAN101, Section 1 (8-9am MTWR), Section 2…”, it’ll help with loading times and not having to browse each section. Even better if you make a makeshift schedule with a note about which other sections can be chosen if you can’t register for the first choice.</p>

<p>UAKid,</p>

<p>Did you stay both days? Is it possible to get everything done early?</p>

<p>You’re in luck. I still have the Summer '08 orientation itinerary. I only stayed the second day to get my cat card. I also did the class schedule review (day 2), but it was pretty useless since I knew what I was doing beforehand. I did one or two conference sections then bailed at 1 PM or so.</p>

<p>On day 1 I fell into the “Opportunities for non-test takers” section, which is where I got to tour campus and all that. But as you can see if you’re looking at the schedule, every minute is pretty well planned out so it’s not like they throw you in the union and say “figure it all out”.</p>

<p>I know this is an old thread, but I figure the advice is still valid…</p>

<p>Anyways, question: You recommend choosing classes and times ahead of time. Is there a place where I can find this information?</p>

<p>@maybe23. Yes, of course. Ahead of time I also setup my NetID / email. Remember though that whatever NetID you choose becomes your @email.arizona.edu address too. What else…uh…yeah check your Academic Degree Requirements. This is the list of classes that are mandatory to receive your diploma. You only need to worry about the requirements from the year you start school. So you can just print it and use it 4 years even if next year the requirements change (same with scholarship rules):
[Academic</a> Program Reports, UA Catalog](<a href=“http://aprr.web.arizona.edu/data/interface/aprrs-114.html]Academic”>Academic Program Reports, UA Catalog)</p>

<p>Class Schedule (to answer your question): </p>

<p><a href=“Student Portal”>Student Portal;

<p>IMO though, the “new” system of searching for classes makes it hard to choose classes if you don’t know what you want. So I use the “old” system as well:</p>

<p>[Course</a> Descriptions 2009-10, UA General Catalog](<a href=“http://catalog.arizona.edu/2009-10/courses/aaindex.html]Course”>http://catalog.arizona.edu/2009-10/courses/aaindex.html)</p>

<p>It only has classes from 2009-2010, but most never changes and the course descriptions are all laid out on one page for each department.</p>

<p>And pretty much every academic question (auditing, grading, etc) is answered somewhere in: [The</a> University of Arizona: General Catalog 2011-12](<a href=“http://catalog.arizona.edu/2011-12/]The”>http://catalog.arizona.edu/2011-12/) .</p>